Friday, August 26, 2011

I Need Help!! I'm Not Above Begging!


This was originally posted on my publisher's site. I really need some feedback. HELP ME HELP ME! ~ Dellani

Some of you have been following my story, “Take a Bite Outta Crime”, for the past few months. I appreciate your comments and support, thank you! When I began posting “Bite”, it wasn’t quite finished, but I had every intention of finishing it before it got this close to the wire. Well, it’s not done yet. Why? I can’t find the perfect ending.

See, I set up this story, laid the groundwork for the characters, gave them a mystery to solve, only I couldn’t ever really decide who the bad guys were or how they were going to solve the crime. That being the case, I’ve got them poised on the verge of discovery—with nothing for them to discover.

Awkward, to say the least. So, here I am at the end of what I’ve got written, but not at the end of the story. For those who haven’t read it all, or who have forgotten, here’s a quick summary.

Previously in “Take a Bite Outta Crime”:
Kirk & Drea own a catering service. Kirk goes to find out where the fish monger, Jay, is, because “Bouillabaisse for 300 doesn’t make itself.” Kirk finds Jay stabbed in his freezer & calls the police.

Drea has a mysterious visitor. This spooks her because she’s afraid their secret has been discovered. (By the way, they’re vampires) Their home is vandalized as is their business.

They finally resort to going to the vampire counsel for assistance, only to find out that many of their friends, also vampires, have disappeared under mysterious circumstances. They decide to pose as models & caterers at the photo shoots so as to infiltrate the modeling agency & track down the villain.

So, where do I go from here? Who’s the villain? Perhaps more than one. Why have the vampires been targeted? For what evil purpose have they been captured, perhaps killed? What did Jay know? Why did he have to die? And why can’t Bouillabaisse for 300 doesn’t make itself?

You see my quandary. I can’t answer any of those questions. If I could, I’d find the perfect ending, finish the story and Bob’s your uncle. But I can’t.

I appeal to you, my fellow writers and readers. Help me find the perfect ending! I have no real incentive for you other than to promise that whatever ideas I borrow to finish the story, I’ll give the contributors a byline at the end. (I’d love to be able to award you fiscally, but that’s not in my current budget.)

Please either post your comments below, or e-mail your ideas todellanioakes@yahoo.com Please be sure to put “Take a Bite Outta Crime” on the subject line. Even if I don’t use your idea, I will mention you by name at the end of the story.

Dellani Oakes is a slightly schizo author whose novel “Indian Summer” is published by Second Wind Publishing. Her second novel, “Lone Wolf” is coming soon, also from Second Wind.

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...