Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I Love Dialogue from How Far is Heaven?

Hal Garrow is a struggling musician. He meets Maeve Tierney quite by accident one day, and they hit it off. Their first date is coffee, followed by sandwiches. This is their second date, at a local restaurant where his ex-girlfriend, Stephanie, works. Stephanie is an unusual woman, very up front, boiserous and just shy of crazy.

Stephanie brought their food a few minutes later. The tray was full and she balanced it like a pro. Maeve couldn't help noticing and asked how long she'd been working as a waitress.
"Oh, I've waited tables since I was a kid," she answered blithely. "My folks have a restaurant that caters to a very trendy crowd. I used to sing and wait tables, all of us did. I have six siblings," she explained to Maeve. "Hal met my nutty family last Christmas. Crazy as loons, all of them."
"But fun," Hal added, cutting her off before she got too into her tale. "In a totally chaotic fashion."
Her family was pretty nuts and she could go on about it for a long time. He wanted time with Maeve, minus Stephanie and her lunatic parents and siblings.
"Fun and chaotic," Stephanie agreed. "And that's my cue to strut my muscular ass back to the kitchen and not bug you until you're done eating." She bent over to whisper to Maeve, giving Hal a great view of her tight ass. "One thing you can say for the man, he's subtle. See how he gave me the brush off without saying, Steph, go blow? Very classy." She leaned closer to Maeve's ear, her stage whisper gauged to carry to Hal's sharp ears. "He loves it if you lick his neck from his Adam's apple to his earlobe. He's totally delicious. Just wait and see."
"How do you know I haven't already?" Maeve asked playfully.
"Because if you had, you wouldn't be sitting on the other side of the table," Stephanie answered quickly. "You'd be sitting next to him with your hand in his lap, eating quickly so you could get back to bed. In fact, I doubt you'd be here talking to me. You'd be grinding away somewhere, moaning loudly and screaming his name over and over." She made a few moans and groans, gasping and squeaking playfully, gyrating her hips.
Hal popped her on the ass, jerking his head for her to go back to the kitchen. She leaned over and kissed his cheek.
"Treat her right, baby."
"I plan to eventually, Steph. Give me time. This is only our second date."
"I regret only one thing," she said with a dramatic sigh.
"What's that?" Maeve couldn't help interrupting the exchange.
"That the chick I'm dating right now isn't built like him."
Running her hand from his shoulder to his belt, she massaged his broad chest, whimpering. With a swish of her apron, she walked back to the kitchen, strutting her stuff for the entire restaurant to appreciate.
Laughing, Maeve almost spewed her coffee as Hal blushed a deep, dark, furious red. He wanted to hide his head, try and pretend she hadn't said that, but he couldn't. There was no way to make it go away. He thought about apologizing for Stephanie, but that wasn't really necessary. She was being blunt and honest. In short, she was being herself, nearly as crazy as her family.
"I'm so sorry to laugh," Maeve gasped. "But she's completely horrified you. I can't help it. I don't mean to. . . ."
"Laugh at my pain. Gotcha. Although we get along great, she's my most embarrassing ex," he admitted. "The others are very tame in comparison."
"A lioness in heat would be tame in comparison," Maeve laughed loudly, covering her mouth with her napkin.
"Oh, God. The imagery that conjures up! But true."
"She's successfully made me very curious," Maeve said with a sly wink. "I can only imagine what I'm missing sitting here having a meal instead of being in bed with you."
"Eventually, perhaps you'll find out," he smirked as he took a sip of his drink. "I don't mind sharing the joy, that's if you don't mind that she had me first."
Maeve giggled, sobering slightly. "I don't mind. I have no claim on you, Hal. Who you used to sleep with doesn't matter."
"You can claim me if you want," he said softly. "In fact, I'd be flattered."
"I'd like that," she smiled. "I'd like that a lot. And the same applies," she murmured, dropping her head.


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...