Thursday, August 27, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 19

At dinner, Cory has a lot to say.

"Now that you've totally eviscerated the single men at the table," Tim said politely. "May we eat?"

They ate dinner in happy companionship, laughing and teasing back and forth. It was the best dinner Sam and Emma could remember. Everyone seemed genuinely fond of one another. They all pitched in to clean up, gathering dirty plates, serving dishes and so on, making a parade in and out of the kitchen.

"You realize you probably set them back at least a month in therapy," Carlos said quietly to Cory, after dinner. "Some of that was kind of hurtful."

"It had to be said. They're great guys with a lot of potential, but they need to get over themselves. No woman in her right mind would hook up with any of them right now."

"Maybe so, but to tell them their main competition is a gay man? Ouch!"

"I don't believe you're really gay. I think you've had problems with women, so you find it less painful to date guys."

"What makes you an expert? You a mind reader?"

She raised an eyebrow, staring at his pants. "That, or the fact that you get wood whenever you're close to me. Since I know I'm not a guy, I figure you're at the very least bi—at the most, seriously confused."

"I do not get wood," he whispered. "It's just the way the pants are cut."

"Right." She drew the word out long and low. "Live in denial, baby. I can wait."

"So," Glenn approached Cory as she left the kitchen. "You really think I'm hot?"

She smirked, touching his face with her fingertips. "I think you're gorgeous, and you have danger written all over you in indelible ink, especially your zipper. You would be one hell of a ride, Glenn. But the destruction would lay waste to half the planet, if we got together."

He closed his eyes, shaking his head. "Naw, ain't like that no more. When I first got here, yeah. Now?" He shook his head some more. "All I ask is that sometime you give me a chance. If it doesn't work, we go our separate ways, no hurt feelings."

"That's the sound of a man who's hard up and horny," she said with a knowing smile.

"That's the sound of a man who's finally noticed what's right in front of him. I didn't ever claim to be the smartest guy around, but I could make you happy, Cory. Think about it, okay?"

Cory nodded, bidding him good night when they got to her room. She lay down on her bed, pillow clutched to her chest as the house around her settled into the evening routine. Lights went out at 10:00, but they were allowed to watch TV until 11:00. They were on a timer and went off automatically. She didn't feel like watching TV, but didn't want to lie there alone with her thoughts either.

There was a light tapping on her door. Cory sat up expectantly. "Yes?"

"Can I come in?" It was Emma.

"Sure."

The door opened hesitantly and Emma glanced around it. "Hi. I just realized Raleigh never got me anything to wear. I can sleep in my underwear, or borrow a shirt from Sam, but I can't wear the same panties tomorrow."

"Oh, ew, no! I totally forgot. Let's get Vera and Donna. I know we can find something for you. Donna's more your size, but her stuff will be long."

"I don't mind. It's more comfortable that way."

"Okay, girl time. We'll go through our stuff. Also, there's a room with things other guests left behind. We'll have Molly open it up. It's early yet. Lights aren't out until ten."

"I hate to be a bother."

"No bother! It's like shopping, only without the nasty bills to pay. Come on." She grabbed Emma by the hand, leading her down the hall to Vera's room.

Loud rock music was playing, but got quieter when they knocked.

"Sorry, sorry! I'll keep it down."

Cory opened the door. "No, idiot. We've an emergency. Emma needs clothing."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...