Thursday, January 28, 2021

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 63


The next day, Detective Tan is back. They go to Dr. Stewart's office so he can interview Sam and Emma, only to find the room is completely trashed.

"This case gets weirder by the second," Tan commented as an aside.

"Who is this guy?" Sam asked. "He doesn't seem like the run of the mill psychopath to me."

"You're familiar with psychopaths?" Frank Tan looked skeptical.

"I spent a lot of time in juvie," Sam said. "I also have a crack head for a father. His customers are pretty f**ked in the head. I think one or two of them qualify."

Frank nodded. "Probably right. So, tell me about last night."

He took out an iPhone and a notebook. He listened, asking questions and making notes as the iPhone recorded the conversation. He talked to Sam first, then Emma.

"And why were you in his room?" He raised an eyebrow, gazing at Emma.

"I was terrified. Ever since we found Dr. Spiner and saw the man at the pool, I haven't been able to sleep unless Sam's with me."

"Thank God he went to your room first, not Sam's."

"I saw him clearly. Sam didn't. But how did he know who we were? Or which rooms were ours? The news report said that two residents had seen him, but they didn't say who."

Tan nodded, ducking his head. "I'm afraid there's a leak somewhere. I don't know if it's my people, or someone here."

"I think I know," Sam replied softly. "I didn't say anything before, because I wasn't sure what I knew." He grimaced. "I'm still not sure. I had a weird conversation with Dr. Abernathy yesterday. She said something that struck an odd note. She was talking about Hempe and she said he's dangerous and a genius. Manipulative, cagey. Then she said, He knows what people want and what they will do anything to protect."

"Those exact words?"

"Yes, sir. You know how something just doesn't feel right, but you can't put a finger on it?"

"Yeah."

"That's how I felt when I left. It didn't sit right."

"You should have called me, Sam."

"I didn't think about it, sir. Besides, what would I say, I have a funny feeling about my therapist?" He shook his head.

"Fair point."

"I wondered how well she knew Hempe. Or how much he knew about her."

"Is she at work today?"

"No idea. We were just getting up when you saw us. You'd have to ask Raleigh."

"I sure will. Meanwhile, I'd feel better if you went back with your friends while I talk to Glenn and Carlos."

Emma clung to Sam, lips trembling. "Are we still in danger?"

Frank Tan took her hand, holding it in both of his. "No, Emma. I'm here. Between me and Sam, you're okay. I promise."

Detective Tan walked them back to the common room. Molly plied them with coffee and more food. The girls surrounded Emma, the guys talked to Sam. Glenn and Carlos followed Frank Tan to the library. Carlos was already telling his side as they walked away.

"So, I grabbed my lamp and snuck into the hallway. Glenn almost hit me with the chair. The brute!"

Glenn laughed and the door closed, blocking off the sound.

Sam didn't know if he should tell the others about Dr. Abernathy, but he wanted to know if she was in the building.

"Is Dr. Abernathy here?" he asked, trying to sound plaintive.

Emma's head snapped up, but she said nothing.

"She didn't come in today. She said she wasn't feeling well," Raleigh replied. "You can talk to Dr. McNulty. I think he's in." He looked at Molly.

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...