Thursday, August 26, 2021

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 12


"And I'd get easy. I'm more interested in quality. I've reached a point in my life where I want more than just sex."

Fuller nodded. "I feel ya. You can head home, Mr. Winthrop. We'd appreciate if you'd keep in touch."

"In other words, don't leave town." He held out his hand.

Fuller grinned, shaking it. "Yes."

"How's―what's his name? Mr. Thompson?"

"He'll be fine. If the thief hadn't called for help, it might have been a different story."

"He did? Wow, that was nice of him."

"According to Mrs. Thompson, he was quite a gentleman."

"He doesn't sound like such a bad guy."

Fuller didn't comment, but he pressed his lips tightly together.

"Good luck with your investigation, Deputy Fuller."

"Thanks, Mr. Winthrop. You have a safe trip back to Waverly."

"I hope to. Thanks."

Anton locked up after Fuller left, packed his bag and gave the room a quick wipe down. He knew Fuller probably planned to dust for prints after he left, and might find it odd. But he didn't care. So far, his plans to disappear hadn't gone well. Therefore, he decided to head back to his house instead of going to Waverly. He sincerely hoped the Roeder Sisters wouldn't rat him out. He needed a safe place to hole up.

Once he was packed, he dropped the keys with the rangers, careful how he handled them, and pulled out of his parking place. It wasn't his imagination that there were a lot of sheriff cars around, as well as state police. He had to go to Waverly now. They might not want to arrest him, but they clearly didn't intend to lose sight of him.

Acting as normal as possible, he drove to Waverly, parking by his trailer. He'd spent enough time here to meet his neighbors. A former Marine, Vietnam veteran, lived next door. He limped over to see Anton as the younger man unpacked his truck.

"Cops came by. Talked to everyone," he said without preamble.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"No worries. You do what they said? Stole that necklace and kidnapped that woman?"

"I heard the woman was released without harm, and they got the necklace back. I heard they caught the thief."

"They caught a thief, not the thief. They interviewed the model. She said he was a real handsome fella. Polite. A gentleman. More than that, they can't get from her. She's former Israeli Army. She won't crack."

Anton nodded. They carried his things into the trailer.

"Son, you know I won't crack, either."

"I know, CV."

"And I know it's a good possibility they might have left a mess when they searched." He gestured meaningfully. "Or, maybe not." He pointed to the light fixture, and wandered to the sleeping area. Pointing at the light by the bed, he smiled. "I know you didn't do anything to be ashamed of. Folks here, we stick together."

"I appreciate that, my friend."

"You're a good kid. I got boys your age."

"I remember."

"Wish they'd turned out half as well as you."

"I wish I'd had a father like you," Anton said, honestly.

The older man guffawed loudly. "You'd sure as f**k cuss better. Come on over about seven. I've got a couple steaks to grill. Bring your beans."

"Will do. Can't pass up a CV steak."

They shook hands and finished unloading the truck.

At the appointed time, Anton brought over his beans and a six pack of cider. He'd given the cheap baked beans the treatment; brown sugar, molasses, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of dried mustard, cinnamon and cloves, and a heaping spoonful of pickle relish. Slow cooked on the stove, there was nothing like them.

The coals were almost perfect when Anton arrived. He and CV sat outside to chat. Each of them popped open a cider, taking a sip in unison.

"I believe it's just about the prettiest spot on Earth," CV signed contentedly.

The Norris Nook Campground was lovely. Secluded in a hollow in the hills, it was surrounded by trees. A brook ran through the north corner near the office. A man-made pond was there and they rented paddle boats and canoes. Fishing was good on the other side of the dam, where the water widened to a small lake. He and CV often fished together.

"I was thinking of fishing trout for dinner tomorrow. Fancy a jaunt?" CV asked.

"That would be great. Thank you."

"Excellent. You know the time."

"Yes, Sergeant. Oh f**k Thirty!" He saluted playfully, ending with middle finger extended.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...