Thursday, February 24, 2022

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 64


She walked over, looking expectant.

"Tell him why someone came to kill you," Canon said.

"You think it was Warren?"

He nodded. She turned to Newton.

"Six years ago, I was a beat cop. Got called to a domestic disturbance."

"At that address," Newton guessed.

"Yes. Father holding his wife and son at gunpoint. He raised the gun to fire. I shot first, but Dad's gun went off. The boy was shot and killed. The mother took the gun, shot her husband, and tried to shoot me. She missed, but I didn't. I winged her. She went to prison, where she had her dead husband's baby. She swore that one day, she'd kill me. Her name was Phyra Warren."

"I made a call. She came up for, and was granted, parole," Canon said.

"Why didn't they call? They're supposed to call me!"

"Funny how that works, isn't it?" a woman's voice said from across the lawn. Phyra Warren walked forward, hands in her pockets. "You stupid bitch. You killed my son."

"Your husband killed your son," Canon corrected her.

"She shot him. He shot Sonny. He wasn't going to shoot! Bitch!" she screeched, pulling a gun.

Newton stepped in front of Eilene. Before Phyra could fire, she was surrounded by ten cops, all armed.

"Shoot me!" she screamed. "Shoot me!" She waved the gun at Eilene.

Newton took the weapon from her. It wasn't loaded. He reached in his pocket for his phone, bringing out Eilene's panties. Everyone burst out laughing, including him.

"Trust Newton to bring panties to a barbecue," Anton laughed.


The next day, they all went to court for Oats' sentencing. Dressed up in their uniforms, they filed into the courtroom.

The prisoner was much subdued. He knew that Judge Walker was going to throw the book at him. Making her grand entrance, Honoria Walker took her seat. Pearl trimmed glasses on her nose, she glared at the defendant. "You ready for this?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

"Stand up."

He did so.

"Your actions have been reprehensible. You know it, we all do. Because of you and your pettiness, sixteen people died. Even if you didn't pull the trigger, their blood is on your hands. And it's still capitol murder. I'm sentencing you to serve sixteen consecutive life sentences. There are no outs here. This is life, without parole. Because of the heinous nature of your crime, endangering minors, you will be incarcerated in a maximum security facility. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Oats said nothing, head hanging.

"Get him out of my sight," Judge Walker ordered.

Total silence accompanied his departure. When he was gone, Judge Walker focused on the police officers.

"There will be appeals. I expect each of you to do your duty."

"Yes, Your Honor," they chorused.

"None of us are blameless," she continued. "We all know him, observed his behavior, and did nothing. I'm as guilty as you, in that. He may have sent them to die. You killed them. Remember this. Be diligent. Pay attention. Don't let this happen again. I'm done now. Go." She made waving motions with her hands.

Hale didn't move. He held his cover, clamped in his hands, knuckles going white. Bailey, who had killed as many as he, came over.

"You did your job, Officer Newton. Sometimes, that sucks." He enfolded Newton in a bear hug.

"Thank you," Newton murmured. "You, too, my friend."

Much subdued, they went to the station. Fortunately, no calls came in.

That night, they went to Newton's house, not wanting to see the blood on the floor of her home.

"I was thinking," she said. "My place is bigger. And closer to work."

"When I drive," he chuckled.

"How about we move in there? Your lease is almost up. Mine has another year."

"Sounds good. I just want to be with you, Eilene. I don't care where we live. I love you."

"I love you too, Hale."

He swept her into his arms, kissing her deeply. A thought surfaced. "Are you free Saturday?"

"Yeah. We were going to the concert. Why?"

"Change of plans. My parents' fortieth. Want to meet my family?"

"I'd love it."

This time, when he kissed her, he didn't stop until he called her name.


THE END

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...