Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 54


"The first night, yes. But Elam pulled me out of it. And I saw Alec's death—well, the preceding moments, from a great distance, like I was flying over it, watching. But Elam brought me back again. Then the dream ended and I slept great the rest of the night."

"Outstanding. Maybe Elam's the key to your recovery. You just have to sleep with her every night."

"If it means I'm getting laid, I'm in," Elam quipped.

Blythe smacked his shoulder, forgetting it was the sore one. He hissed sharply.

"Sorry." She kissed his cheek. "I bit him," Blythe told the doctor.

Elam groaned, his ears going red once more. "I'm never going to live this down. My girlfriend and my boss, discussing my sex life."

"It's okay, babe. I didn't tell her about reverse cowgirl."

"I'm going to pull over and throw you two out, if you keep this up." He made the exit to Ormond Beach.

"What he doesn't know," Blythe told Dr. Waverly, "is that I grew up around Jason and Alec, the two worst teases in the history of mankind. They were also practical jokers—at least I don't do that, except for April Fool's Day, then all bets are off. I had to learn how to fight back before they got me."

"But I'm not teasing you," Elam said as he turned left on to SR 40.

"No, but you make it so easy," she replied. "I'm sorry. I'll behave—ish."

Elam shook his head, laughing. "Babe, I've got a tough hide. I'm just one of those people who blushes. And it's not your teasing that's embarrassing me—it's what I think of after you say something."

Dr. Waverly laughed loudly. "At least you're honest, that's refreshing. This one is well worth holding onto, Blythe."

"I think so too. If for no other reason, than he's so awfully adorable when he blushes."

Ears burning, he made the last length of the drive in silence. Blythe and Dr. Waverly really bonded on the trip. Elam enjoyed hearing them talk. Both women had a wide variety of interests and shared many of them. They had a lot to talk about, not all of it, fortunately, Elam.

They spotted Jessamine in the parking lot when they arrived. Blythe had just gotten off the phone with her. She stood in the sunny parking lot, shielding her eyes, waving when she saw them. As they parked, she opened the back door of her car and reached in for something. It wasn't until she got out of the car that Blythe saw she was holding a baby.

She stopped, hand going to her mouth. Rushing over, she gazed at the little face, so like his father's. Dark brown eyes opened and he gazed into Blythe's eyes with a very knowing expression.

"This is Malachi Micah Garafolo," she said, introducing her son. "I gave him his father's name because there's never been any other man in my life. I knew what you meant, Blythe, when you said you wished you had a little piece of Alec to hold onto. I've got Mickey. But it would be so wonderful to have Malachi back." She teared up.

Elam took the carrier and baby bag from her. Blythe closed and locked the car as the doctor looked at the baby.

"He's a handsome boy. He looks so wise."

"He really does. There are times he flashes this expression, and looks so much like his daddy. Malachi has such an expressive face. I always tell him he can't play poker. Everything shows in his face." She grew silent, sniffling.

Blythe found a packet of tissues and handed her a couple.

Sarah was again at the desk. She'd been expecting Dr. Waverly to come with them, but wasn't sure about Jessamine. When she saw Mickey, she understood.

"I don't know how his mama will react," she said nervously. "She's not real happy on the subject of you."

"I don't imagine so. I was the selfish one who put my career before her son. Stupidest thing I ever did."

"You go on down," Sarah said. "If she wants to get mad at someone, she can fuss at me. A boy ought to know his daddy. And the daddy should know his son." She nodded, folding her arms over her ample chest.

Elam took her hand, kissing it. "Thank you. I do hope she doesn't get angry. I'd hate to have her yell at you."

She patted his cheek. "Ditto, sugar."

Mrs. Garafolo met them at the door. She was dressed in a simple dark purple dress that looked like raw silk. She had the same string of pearls at her throat. She clutched a black shawl around her shoulders. When she saw Jessamine, she gasped, tears bursting from her eyes.

"Oh, my child. My little one! I've been so wicked to you! Is this—is this ours?" She touched the baby with tender, loving hands.

"This is Malachi Micah Garafolo," Jessamine said, introducing her infant son. "He was born May thirtieth."

"But that's Mal's birthday! You didn't do a section?"

"No, Mama, that's just the day he came. He's five months old."

A tall, spare man came out of the room. Though he was I his fifties and gray haired, there was no mistaking his features. This baby was his grandson.

"What's all the fuss, Mama? What's she doing here?" He raised his voice.

"We need to take this in the room," Dr. Waverly asserted herself. She might be shorter than everyone, but she had a presence about her that even Mr. Garafolo wasn't going to argue with.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...