Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Erie Canal Cousins" and author Dorothy Stacy

Those who've listened to my show have heard this amazing woman live. Dorothy Stacy has been on my show several times, and I'd have her on every month if I could. Her books are as amazing as she is. I was pleased and honored that she agreed to a blog interview.

When did you start writing?

I started writing when I was 8 years old. I wrote little stories in a 10 cent notepad called, “The Adventures of Rosemary” Each chapter was 3 pages long and the stories were based on what I was doing at the time. If I went to my grandmother's for a visit, Rosemary went to her grandmother's. Then in grade school, a friend and I sat in the double desks we had in our school, in the back seat since we were so well behaved and we wrote soap operas during class. Then after each chapter we put the notebooks on the seat between us and read each others stories. We had 59 kids in the class and, by the way, we never got caught. I have been writing off and on all my life.

What gave you the idea for your first book?

I took my first grade class on a field trip to the Erie Canal Village in Rome, New York, watched a movie on how the Canal was built, and immediately wanted to write a story about a girl traveling down it in 1840. I was so impressed by the way the canal came about that I wanted to spread the word to children in a fun and interesting way so that they might become interested in history the way I am.

What genre do you write?

I write historical fiction for young teens to adults.

What do you do to keep yourself focused?

I try to set a schedule for writing… 2 months for research, maybe a chapter a week when I am ready to begin the book.

What inspires you?

Do you mean to write? I just love to write, play around with words, and express myself that way. If you mean in general…history, the lives of great people, books I’ve read and people.

Do you stay with one project or do you work on multiple projects?

I stay with one project, trying to get one book published a year.

What is your writing process?

I spread it out over a year. As I said before, I spend about 2 months for research, 2 months to write the book, 1 month for illustrations, another month for revising and editing, 2 months for the printing, and a couple of months for book signings and then I get some time off for relaxing. HOWEVER, in between all this I do Author Visits to schools, historical societies, libraries, or anyone that wants me.

What is the theme of your novel?

The theme of my novels is that you can overcome your fears by doing the thing you fear and the more you do it the less afraid you will be.

Do you consciously use symbolism in your book?

I do because it is a good way to help someone picture what I mean. But not too much of it as my books are mainly for children.

What is your latest release?

My latest release is, Canal Town Christmas, which is Book 4 in my Erie Canal Cousins Series.

What other books do you have published?

The other books I have published in the Series are: Erie Canal Cousins, Three Weeks in Utica-Book 2, and Albany Homecoming-Book 3. They all take place in New York State and the Erie Canal in 1840.

Where are your books available?

My books are available at Barnes and Noble, from my distributor (North Country Books), or from me at my website: www.dorothystacy.com

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...