Tuesday, September 02, 2014

I Love Dialogue AND Sexy Without the Sex! From "Something New"

This excerpt really fell into both categories. I love the dialogue in it, but it's a little hot too. I wrote this book in four days (June 25 - 29, 2014) and I'm quite proud of how it came out. It's a little romance, a little action, a fun read. I fell for the character, Austin. He's just adorable.

Austin is an actor in a sci-fi show, an American attempt at a Doctor Who spin-off. Liat is his current companion. They find themselves greatly attracted to one another, but haven't quite gotten together yet.

Austin dressed in loose fitting jeans and ratty T-shirt. Walking around barefoot, he enjoyed the deep pile carpet. A lunch of Naomi and Dexter's leftovers filled him up. He sipped a single beer and watched Farscape on DVD. He didn't watch much television, but he loved to run marathons of favorite TV shows. He was deep into season one when someone knocked at his door. He paused the show and opened the door.
Liat stood there, grinning. "Mind if I join you?" She also was wearing jeans and a baggy shirt.
"Love for you to. I've been watching John Crichton whilst deciding whether or not to take a nap."
"Can I interest you in something other than a nap?" She tugged his belt loops, pulling him close.
Austin smiled down at her, putting his hands on her waist. "I'd like that. I'd love to hope it involves getting naked."
Liat playfully pushed him away. "I've known you since Thursday."
"So, that's a no."
"That's a be patient."
Holding her waist, he walked backwards toward the couch. He sat down, pulling her down to straddle his lap.
"After all the sights I've shown you. Super novas in the beta quadrant."
"That was just the lightbulb going in one of the lamps."
"Meteor shower in Sol Bea."
"Styrofoam rocks hurled at us from the catwalk."
"Bloody hell, I'm useless."
"Almost entirely," she replied, pushing him back against the couch.
"Well, the question burning in everyone's mind, is this. How much of the last three days may we count as dates?"
She climbed off his lap, sitting close beside him. "Hmm. . . . We can count dinner the first night."
"How about the snogging in my trailer."
"Mm, no."
"But I want to count it."
"Why?"
"Because it was such fun. And now, may we include now?"
"Maybe. Depends upon what you want to do."
"I'm a thirty-two year old man in a room with the most beautiful woman in the world. What do you think I want to do?" He loomed over her, his face mere inches from hers.
"Play Trivial Pursuit?"
"Not even close." He smiled as his lips brushed her cheek.
"We're having dinner with my parents soon."
"And?" He nosed her hair, his tongue tickling her ear.
"And, if we do anything inappropriate—Daddy will know."
He fell back, lying on the couch. "Dammit, that's done it."
"What?"
"The cock block I needed after the first time I kissed you. There it is. Your father will castrate me if I even think of shagging you." He groaned, putting a pillow over his face. He pressed against it as if trying to suffocate himself.
Liat pulled the pillow away, laughing at him. "Daddy won't kill you."
"He'll want to. Believe me. My first girlfriend's father threatened me with a cleaver."
"Why?"
"Thought I was having my way."
"Were you?"
Austin chuckled, pouting saucily. "Yes. He had every right to threaten me. I was being very inappropriate."
"Have you been—inappropriate a lot?"
He shrugged, shaking his head against the couch. "Let's see. I'm thirty-two, been active—a good few years. Maybe ten girls in all that time? About that. Why?"
She wouldn't answer. Austin touched her cheek.
"I'm not like him," he told her. "I don't run about sticking it to every woman I meet. No one night stands, no fly by night affairs. I can't say I've always had the best sense where women are concerned. But I think my taste has improved considerably over the last three days or so."
"You're wickedly charming, you know. Virtually irresistible."
He struggled to a sitting position. "Virtually, not completely?"
"Completely. I didn't want to seem slutty."
"Never."
His lips brushed hers once more, before drifting down her throat. He nibbled her earlobe, licking behind it. His breath was hot, his tongue rough on her soft skin.
Liat shivered, leaning into him, her breasts pressing against his chest temptingly. Austin let his mouth drop to the curve of her shoulder as his hands slid up her sides. Long, lean fingers teased her breasts, not quite touching them. She shivered again as his mouth met hers. She knew she was letting it go too far, but she couldn't seem to find the strength to tell him no. Even thinking about dinner with her parents didn't sufficiently put the brakes on.
It felt so perfect in his arms. He could kiss like no one else she'd ever met and it made her wonder, again, what sex with him would be like. She wanted to know, wanted to grasp his lean hips with both hands and clamp down tight.
"Someone's at the door," Austin gasped when he heard the latch click. "Fuck!"
Dwight stepped in carrying another suit and shirt. He stopped halfway through the door when he saw Austin and Liat. She was on her back on the couch. Austin lay partly on top of her, between her legs. Their clothing was on, but they were obviously well on their way to getting naked.
"Ooops," Dwight said. "I am so sorry! I had no idea. You're the first woman he's had up here," he babbled. "I'm so used to just coming in and out. I live across the hall. . . ."
Liat started laughing. "It's okay, Dwight. We probably shouldn't be doing this anyway."
"But it's such a smashing idea, we were anyway," Austin concluded. "Until you showed up."

"You now have an effective cock block," Dwight replied, smugly. "Imagine me walking in and seeing your lovely ass in the air. See what that does for you." He winked, hung the suit and shirt on the back of the door, and left.

© 2014 Dellani Oakes


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...