Tuesday, February 07, 2017

I Love Dialogue from Set for Love by Dellani

Bern Cortland isn't having a very good day. He hooked up the night before with a woman he works with, who now clearly hates him. After a huge fight at work, he decides to go for a run to work off the anger. Instead, he simply runs into trouble – a mugger jumps him on a deserted part of the path. Though Bern fights him off, he gets injured. This scene takes place at the hospital.

The doctor examined his wound and had the nurse wash his hand well before giving him a shot to deaden it.
"Did a good job on this," he muttered. "What happened?"
"Got jumped by some bald, muscled guy in the park."
"Oh, so that's your handiwork? Nice!" He seemed very impressed. "Black belt?"
"Me or him?" Bern winced with the Lidocaine infiltrated the tissue around his wound.
"Sorry about that. Shit stings like a bitch," the doctor said. "I'm Dr. Fellowes. I'll be your surgeon this morning."
"Thought you guys did the big stuff?"
"Surgery got canceled, so I'm bored. Besides, this is a really slick wound. What'd you do, grab the knife?"
"Grabbed his wrist, but I guess I miscalculated. The good news is if he hadn't cut me, I'd probably be in jail for assault. Cop wasn't too bright, thought I was the mugger even though I called them."
"You'd be one stupid mugger," Dr. Fellowes replied with a grin. "What do you study?"
"Krav Maga."
"Really? Brutal. How many bones have you broken in training?"
"Lost count."
"I do Aikido myself. I was doing kick boxing but got told I needed to learn discipline and how to slow down." He worked quickly, meticulously, taking tiny stitches inside Bern's hand, pulling the muscle and tissue back together.
"No sparring for at least two weeks," he said as he continued to work. "Be very careful with this and keep it dry. If we lose any stitches inside, it could affect mobility. It's gonna leave a hell of a scar."
"I don't care, as long as I can move it."
Bern watched in fascination as the doctor continued to work quickly, his fingers flashing rapidly in the bright light. Suddenly dizzy, Bern felt himself falling as the ceiling became the floor. The nurse caught him, laying him flat on the gurney.
"Was it something I said?" the doctor quipped and continued to stitch.
Bern woke up about twenty minutes later. An IV was attached to his arm and a bag of clear liquid dangled from a pole above his head. He tried to sit up, but it made him dizzy.
"Hold up," a calm male voice said from the corner. "Just lay there, Bern. Lemme tell the nurse you're awake."
It took a moment for Bern to process the fact that it was Colt. He'd completely forgotten that his friend was at the hospital. The curtain scooted aside again and the nurse came in.
"Feeling better? You looked pretty bad there. At least you didn't need a transfusion, but you lost a good bit of blood."
"I'm okay. I think. Make the damn room stop spinning, huh?"
She grinned down at him. She was pretty and blonde with green eyes and a nice smile. "It'll stop in a couple minutes, sweetie."
"Feels like a three day drunk on tequila."
"Done that, have you?"
"Yeah. More than's good for me."
"A nice boy like you?"
She raised a teasing eyebrow and Bern got the distinct impression she was flirting with him. Her name tag said her name was Norah.
"Norah, I'm bout's bad as they come. Well—I'm good—but I'm bad—"
She giggled, checking his pulse. She noted it on his chart and took his blood pressure.
"Your friend's gonna be fine when his pulse slows down. Trust a man to pass out, then make a pass at his nurse." She grinned, shaking her head. Pretty blonde curls framed her heart shaped face.
Bern felt his face warm.
"Man's gonna flirt," Colt answered. "It's in his nature. But it shows he's on the road to recovery."
"I'd have to be 'bout dead not to flirt with a beautiful woman."
Norah blushed as she recorded his blood pressure. She took his temperature and checked the IV bag. It was more than half empty. She finished his vital signs, smiling down at him.
"I'll check with Dr. Fellowes, but I'd say you could go home pretty much any time. I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."
"Baby, I'm not moving 'til I see your smiling face again."
© 2017 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...