Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I Love Dialogue from Undercover Lover by Dellani

"I don't know and no. I didn't really know until now that I had. Jealous, yeah. But any man in my position would be. I mean Brodie! Jesus, I can't compete with a man like that."
"It was never a competition! What do you take me for, a slut? Where in my life did I turn into the kind of woman who would sleep with her boss? Did I make some huge metamorphosis that I don't know about?"
"He's got this rep...."
"Oh, the infamous rep! So what! Just because he's a player doesn't mean I got played. Did you boff every woman you worked with?"
"That's a ridiculous question. Of course not."
"Then why assume Brodie does?"
Ben said nothing, not meeting her eyes.
"Did I ever once compare you to him?"
Ben didn't answer right away. "You remember his girlfriend, Amanda?"
"His ex, you mean. Resoundingly ex. What about her?"
"She told me once that she found you and Brodie in his office having sex. She said you two were having an affair and had been for some time."
"Oh my GOD! And you believed Psycho Barbie over me? Let me get this right. She told you I was doing Brodie—In his office?"
"Yeah. On the desk."
"Have you seen his office? It's ninety percent glass! Can you picture me humping in front of the rest of the staff? Even a quick boff on the desk, someone's gonna see."
"I guess I didn't think it through."
"Amanda was a liar, Ben. She liked to cause trouble. Did it occur to you to ask me?"
"No. I didn't want to know if it was true."
"So instead you quit making love to me. Were you afraid I'd compare you to him? That's it, isn't it? You dumb ass!" She wanted to throw something at him, but she knew her mother would have a fit.
"I didn't say it made sense, Saige."
"It's the stupidest thing ever, Ben. What's wrong with us? When did we become the couple who can't talk to each other? The only way we know how to communicate is to argue. Even now."
"I don't know."
"You can't keep blaming all our problems on Brodie. He's done nothing to deserve it. Since we broke up, he's been a good friend to me."
"Oh, a good friend you have drinks with the night we break up and have breakfast with him the next morning? Did you spend time with him this afternoon as well? Is that where you were when I was trying to call?"
"Actually, the majority of that time, I was making out with Stan. Are you satisfied now?"
"Stan? When did he get into this?"
"Apparently several men at the office find me attractive and were hoping we'd break up so they could ask me out. Stan's one of them. He's a hell of a kisser too."
"And I'm not?"
"I didn't say that."
"That's the implication."
"You've hardly kissed me in so long, I can't remember! We used to make love every night. Then suddenly, you won't even touch me unless you're trying to apologize for yelling at me. Even then, it's like I'm not really there. You put about as much thought and effort into is as you do opening a box of Fruit Loops."
"I don't!"
"You couldn't give a shit if it was me or Margaret Thatcher there as long as you get some pussy. I've had my eyes opened over the last two days. There are men out there who want me. Not a handy pair of tits and a tight ass. I've turned down more offers for sex in the last two days than I've had from you in six months."
"Saige! That's not fair!"
"I'll tell you what's not fair. Being treated like I'm a slut because my boss has a reputation. Rejecting me because of your own insecurity, isn't fair. I loved you, Ben, but I don't like you at all right now."
"You're making me crazy in that outfit. You know that," he murmured. "The hair, the perfume, you look amazing and you won't even let me kiss you."
"You want me now, you have to earn it. We broke up. You're back at square one."
"We didn't officially break up, babe."
"You threw my things out the window! Where in your logic is that not breaking up? What do you call that? Redecorating?"
© 2017 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...