Thursday, September 09, 2021

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 16


"Mr. Winthrop, Dr. Lister."

"Yes, hi."

"We've retrieved the bone fragment, and are excising the scar tissue. It is quite extensive."

"Has it damaged the kidney?"

"Part of it. I believe we can salvage it. I will have to remove a portion of the organ. However, I believe we can salvage enough of it to keep it viable."

"Okay." He waited impatiently for the rest.

"It will be about another two hours, possibly three. Have you any questions?"

"No, ma'am."

"Have his sons arrived?"

"No," he said softly, sadly. "They aren't coming. It's just me."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Is he gonna be okay?" He could hardly suppress a sob. His voice caught and he swallowed hard.

"Yes, Mr. Winthrop," she said gently.

"Thank you for helping my friend."

"You're welcome." She sounded very subdued. "We'll talk afterward."

Anton hung up, his fingers suddenly numb. He wasn't sure what he'd heard in her voice. Maybe he was simply putting his own spin on it? She didn't sound angry. She sounded genuinely kind and concerned.

Suddenly hungry, he asked at the desk how to find the cafeteria. The young woman gave him clear directions, pointing to it on a map. Armed with his excellent sense of direction, he found his way there without incident. The food was far better than he'd anticipated, but he'd never been in a hospital cafeteria before. He'd heard stories, of course. Ridiculously healthy himself, and no family, he'd rarely ever been to a doctor. That made this experience all the more surreal.

Two hours and forty-two minutes later, Dr. Lister walked into the waiting room. She was smiling. Anton stood, feeling awkward.

"It went well?" he tried hard to control a tremor.

"It went very well."

Too happy to control himself, Anton kissed her on the mouth. When he realized what he'd done, he jumped back as if she'd shocked him. "Oh, God. I'm so sorry."

Tabitha looked surprised, but not displeased. "It's all right. It happens―Not quite like that," she murmured, touching her lips.

Anton's mouth tingled, longing for another kiss. At least she hadn't hit him.

"Really inappropriate of me. I'm just―please―how did it go? Could you save any of his kidney?"

"More than I'd thought. We removed a great deal of scar tissue. And here is the bone fragment." She held up a clear, plastic container with a screw top. "It's been sanitized. Some people like to keep them as a souvenir."

"CV isn't very sentimental, but I'll pass it along."

Their fingers touched when she handed it to him. Anton let his hand linger on hers for a moment, pulling slowly away.

"May I see him?"

"Soon. He's still asleep, but they'll call you when he's awake." She yawned, stretching side to side, her hands on the small of her back. "I could use a coffee. There's a food truck outside that has the best blend. Buy me a cup." It wasn't a request.

Anton wasn't sure what he saw in her eyes, but they were a little less warm than they'd been a minute ago.

"Yes, sure."

They went downstairs in total silence. Once outside, they ordered coffee and danish at the food truck. Taking it to a nearby bench, they sat to enjoy their snack. Tabitha shivered. The air was chilly for someone dressed only in scrubs. Anton set down his food and slipped off his coat, putting it around her shoulders. Slightly surprised by the gallant gesture, Tabitha didn't thank him right away. When she did, she stumbled over the words.

Anton smiled. "Well, you said I was a gentleman."

"I knew you recognized me." She frowned a little.

"As you did me. Is this going to be an issue, Doctor?"

"Do you want it to be?"

"What do you think?" He took a sip of his coffee. It wasn't his imagination that Tabitha watched his lips close over the rim.

A shiver traveled along her spine, that had nothing to do with the cold. He marked its passing.

"I think―I underestimated you, Mr. Winthrop."

"I hope in a good way, Dr. Lister. I'm very sorry if I hurt you. It was an impulsive decision on my part."

"Why the ruby? You could have left it." Her manner changed from relaxed to alert.

Anton didn't miss the change. He forced himself to stay calm, but watched her carefully. "That was the target."

"Why give it back?"

He shrugged casually. "We did the job, got paid, and got a very dangerous man off the street."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...