Thursday, September 23, 2021

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 20


"I can't tell you, I'm sorry. But I hope you're right."

"Sergeant, my dad was an abusive, drunken, drug addict. I got good at reading his moods. Believe me when I tell you, I'm an excellent judge of people. He's a not a bad guy, despite what y'all think he's done."

"I can't submit that in evidence."

"No, but you still needed to hear that."

Sgt. Stafford nodded. She agreed with Augie, but wasn't in a position to say so.

The radiologist returned, looking concerned. "I sent his X-rays and CT results to Dr. Smithers. He's going to need surgery. I've put in a request for a plastics consult. There's a break, as we suspected. It's putting pressure on his zygomatic and maxillary bones. That's the area at the crest of the cheek, under the eye," he explained when he saw Eilene's confused expression. "His ear is a mess and will need reconstruction. Whoever did this to him, should be locked up!"

"I need to report to my boss," Eilene said as calmly as she could muster. And I'll arrest that brutal son-of-a-bitch myself!

"We're going up to surgical," the radiologist said. "You coming?"

"I'll be up in a bit. My boss needs to hear this―in person."

"Dr. Smithers will tell him." He tipped his head at the elevator.

"May I see his friend? He needs to know what's happened."

"Yes, under the circumstances, I think you should. He's in post op on the surgical floor. When we get this fella squared, Augie can show you."

"Thank you." She smiled, squaring her shoulders as they entered the elevator. "I never saw anyone elicit such loyalty."

"It's our job to advocate for our patients," the doctor replied tartly.

"I know, I'm not denying that. But this is different."

"There's something about this guy," the doctor said. "He could barely talk, but after he thanked me for saving his life, he asked after his sick friend. He wouldn't agree to the CT until he knew his pal was all right. Who does that?" He shook his head, awed.

"This guy," Augie stated with a grin.

Once Anton was being prepped for surgery, Augie took Eilene to CV's room.

"How's my boy?"

He looked terrible, his face drawn and sunken with pain. Eyes full of concern, he tried to sit up. Eilene moved to keep him down, but Augie did it instead. Gently touching the old man's shoulder, he told him to stay still. Eilene stepped closer, keeping her face as calm as she could.

"He needs surgery. There was an accident, and he was injured."

"Way I heard it, he was assaulted by a cop."

Eilene didn't reply, but CV didn't seem to expect her to.

"You roast that cop's nuts, you hear me? f**king jackbooted―" Seeing Eilene's face, he stopped. "Sorry, ma'am. I'm an old Marine. We tend to use inappropriate language."

"I've heard, and said, most if it before. I'm worried about you. You get worked up like that, your blood pressure spikes."

CV chuckled, coughing and wincing. "I'd hate to undo Dr. Lister's good work." He read her face calmly. "But you don't disagree." Nodding, he seemed satisfied. "What will they be doing to my boy?"

Telling him what she knew of the procedure, Eilene sat with CV while Anton was in surgery. They talked of a variety of subjects, but kept coming back to Anton.

"Y'all can't take him to jail yet, can ya?"

"No, Mr. Carpenter. They don't have the facilities for a post op patient."

"Can you let me see him?"

"I'll check with the doctors, but from my end, yes."

"You're not like most cops."

"I hope that's a compliment," she laughed.

CV patted her hand. "Very much. Donnie's a good boy. Whatever y'all think he did, he's a real good kid. Been better to me than my own sons. They couldn't even bother to come when I went under the knife. I told the nurses not to give them any information―if they bother to call."

Eilene's phone buzzed with a call from Canon. "My boss," she said, swiping the screen. "I tried to call him earlier. Excuse me a minute." She rose and went to the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

"What's going on?" Canon barked without a hello.

Eilene gave him an update. "Do you need help with the paperwork?"

"No. I got it. I do need your statement."

"Of course. Let me say goodbye to Mr. Carpenter first, and I'll be down."

"The old man okay?"

"Yes. Angry."

"No shit? Me too. Newton had to lock Oats up. The stupid turd got violent, tried to give the poor newbie a fat lip. But Newton's quick." He sounded proud of the new recruit.

"Yeah." She chuckled, nodding. "I'll be down shortly."

"See ya soon." He hung up.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...