Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51


"How? Why?" Newton said.

"Oats. He's like Teddy's cop—big brother. Kid came in six months ago. Took over. Brought his own heat. My guys, we're not violent. We hang out. We stick together, we help. You ask anyone in the neighborhood. Cochise Clan, we help people. My dad got killed in the riots, by folks he cared for. He had a thrift shop, a food bank. They dragged him out, beat him to death in the gutter!" He stood. This time, Bailey let him.

"So, you decided to get even," Bailey rumbled.

"No! All my guys, we lost someone. We stick together, because down there, you need friends."

"A man with no one at his back, dies," Newton said quietly.

"Yes! We don't even have guns. Teddy, he brought those. Said his cop brother got 'em outta lock up. Started to bring in drugs, too. Me and my boys, we smoke weed. But it's there, maybe you try some. Maybe you like it."

"Did you?"

The young man shrugged. "Couple times. But not my thing. Teddy brought in women, too. Not all of 'em of age. He said he's got a source. Man, I don't even wanna know. But a man, balls deep in a woman, don't think straight. They be there, giving it away. No man can say no forever."

"So, he took over," Newton said.

"Yeah, gradual like. Not all at once. Pretty soon, even my guys are answering to him. Some punk kid! Didn't even get his dick wet, until the girls came. Me, I got a kid. But Teddy don't know that. But my mom, my sister. He knew them. He's been to my house, man, eaten at my table. Because my guys are family."

"And he got your family killed."

"Yeah. A few. Most of the guys were Teddy's crew. You need me to ID them, I will. I can tell you who's good, and who's not."

"And why do we believe the man who sent us into a trap?" Bailey asked.

"My mom, my sister. If they're gone, I got nothing else to lose. I don't get to see my kid. My ex took up with another guy. Claims the boy is his. He looks just like me. Nature's way, right? But what can I do?"

"We haven't given up hope of finding your family," Newton said.

"Yeah? Maybe not. But I expect you to find their heads in a box on the porch, their bodies in pieces, cause that's what Teddy promised."

"If you can give me Oats, unimpeachable evidence of his involvement in this, I will do my best to help you. I'll break down doors, until I find your family," Newton said.

"Yeah, me too," Bailey rumbled.

"You need proof? How about a video of the f**ker making plans? You get my phone. I got your evidence."

"We'll be back," Bailey said.

When they got outside, Canon and Eilene met them.

"Think he's on the level?" Canon asked quietly.

Bailey and Newton exchanged a look. "Yes," they chorused.

"Let's get his phone."

They got the phone from Rivera's belongings and took it to him. He accessed the videos and set it to play. It was a very clear picture and the dialogue was unmistakable, irrefutable and damning. Teddy gave very explicit orders on how the entire attack was supposed to go down.

"I have others, of him and Oats talking about the women, drugs and guns. They were a couple dumb ass guys, assuming we were all loyal or scared. I took these to protect my family. I have them all saved to a Cloud account."

"How did you get this?" Bailey asked.

"Oats prides himself on being a shot caller. Wouldn't let anyone else around when he talked to Teddy. But he didn't pay attention to the fact there was a laptop sitting open. Who does, right? We used the camera to record their conversation."

"We?" Bailey jumped on the pronoun.

"Me and Eduardo. He's in the hospital. You shot him," he glared at Newton.

"He shot at me first, and missed. He'll live."

Rivera nodded. "Thank you for not killing him. He's my best friend."

"We tried not to," Bailey said quietly. "But some were pretty determined to kill us."

Crossing himself, Rivera nodded.

"We have pictures of the deceased," Newton said. He handed a tablet to Rivera.

One by one, the young man went through and identified them, telling the police if they were his or Teddy's. Most of them belonged to Teddy's crew. Only three were Rivera's men. Of the ones in jail, half were his. All those hospitalized, were Teddy's.

"I'm very sorry about your friends," Bailey said.

"Maybe they're the lucky ones," Rivera said. "What have we got to look forward to?"

"We'll make sure the DA knows you have helped. And you didn't fire a shot, just broke in."

There was a loud knock at the door. Cage stood there, smiling.

"You're Rivera, right?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...