Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Crash Into Me ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 55


"Sure. Coffee?"

"Yeah. Please."

They went to the kitchen. The house was a substantial split level ranch, built in the late Fifties. It had a large, comfortable kitchen overlooking a cozy backyard. Or it would, if the windows hadn't been covered. The drapes were heavy and lined with material that disrupted thermal scans and surveillance equipment. They were as safe from observation as they could be. They were being monitored from headquarters, and the neighborhood had several cameras covering two square blocks around them.

The two men sat down with coffee. There was a box of cookies in the cupboard, so they each took a couple. They were slightly stale, but neither of them minded.

To Newton, Rivera seemed really young. In his late thirties, Newton was nearly ten years older. It was a lifetime, experience-wise. Newton had seen far more in twenty years than most men, twice as old.

"When I was your age, I'd been in the Army about seven years."

"I thought about it, but my dad didn't want me to go. He was a pacifist. He'd been in Vietnam, and saw the horrors of war. He didn't want that for his only son."

"It was an admirable goal. Was it his idea for the Clan?"

"Yes. He let us hang out at his place. He had a big game room in back, with pinball and old video games, like PacMan and stuff. The ones without guns. Except for Space Invaders."

"Gotta have that, it's a classic."

"Yeah." Rivera grinned. "Is your dad alive?"

"Yeah." Newton flashed a smile. "Retired military. He's a hard ass."

"Not easy."

"No. But growing up rarely is. Especially if you're different. I was a short, scrawny Japanese Jew in Chinatown."

"There's a winning combo. I was the coward's son. My dad was the best man I knew. He wouldn't throw a punch, but he'd stand in any man's way, if it meant protecting his sons—that's what he called our Clan. His sons." Rivera shook his head slowly. "My friends were his kids, just like me. He taught them, loved them, defended them, and ripped them a new asshole if they needed it. Which was often." He laughed softly, wiping a tear.

"He sounds like a good man."

"I've tried to be like him. Then Teddy forced a gun in my hand."

"You didn't shoot. You played smart. I'll take that, over violence, any day."

There was a short pause. Newton could tell Rivera wanted to ask something. He waited, suspecting what it was.

"How many—did you...."

Newton had been expecting that question. "First of all, let me state that I tried just to knock down."

"Some of the guys wouldn't stop." Rivera nodded.

"Five."

The young man blinked.

"It's a memory I'll carry for life. But they were trying to kill me and my friends. I can't regret it."

"No. I'm sorry for my part in all this. For not standing up. Their deaths are mine."

"You didn't force them. This is on Teddy and Oats. Not you. You put those boys to rest, by telling everything you know."

Bailey walked in, yawning. "You can get some rack time," he told Newton, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Thanks. Good talk," he said to Rivera. He hadn't realized how tired he was until he lay down. He'd thought the coffee would keep him awake, but it didn't. It did, however, fuel some vividly realistic, erotic dreams of Eilene.

Waking with a start, several hours later, his bed looked like he'd been having wild sex. A knock sounded, and he knew what had woken him.

"You okay, Newt?" Bailey's rumbling grumble sounded.

"Yeah."

The door opened and Bailey came in, shutting it behind him. "Dude, if you make that much noise for real—" he shook his head.

"F**k! Really?"

"I get it, man. New lady, you want it twenty-four seven. I know I don't need to remind you."

"No!" Newton laughed. "She's the best thing that ever happened to me. Not gonna screw that up."

"Grab a quick shower. Boss is here."

"I'm good."

"Uh...Dude?" he didn't finish the comment, simply looked at Newton's pants.

"Shit." Realizing the condition of his boxers, he picked up some clean clothing. "Give me five."

"Take ten. He brought food. And a friend."

Newton was ready in seven minutes. Showered, dressed and bedding stripped, he joined everyone in the kitchen. Eilene met him at the door, giving him a little kiss.

"Hiya! Are you the friend Bailey told me about?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...