Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 14


"I want my dad," Blythe said, trying hard not to whimper.

"Of course. Let's go in here," the doctor said nodding toward a conference room door. "Paul, please go get Mr. Donovan and bring him here."

"Yes, ma'am." Paul trotted off.

"Now," Dr. Waverly said in a matter of fact tone. "Tell me what you saw."

Blythe described her vision. She couldn't call it a dream, it was far too real. Her father came in as she concluded her recitation. "And then I found myself in the back of an ambulance, and the paramedic had the paddle thingies in his hands."

Elam and the doctor exchanged a worried look.

"What aren't you telling me?" Blythe demanded.

"We had a guy here," Elam said. "My team responded to the call. I drove while my partner resuscitated the man." He looked uncomfortable.

"When? When was this?"

"It's been quite awhile. Maybe a year?"

"What day, specifically?"

"November first," Elam replied. "A thing like that, you don't forget."

Blythe sobbed, hiding her face in her hands. Her father held her close.

"That's the day that Alec died," he answered for her.

Could it be a coincidence? It seemed unlikely.

"What happened to him? Is he alive?" Blythe asked.

"I don't know," Elam said. "Shortly after, he was taken to another hospital. His family wanted him closer to home, or something."

"Can we find out?"

"I don't know," the doctor said, hesitantly.

"Because I think he's haunting me," Blythe said. "Or maybe he's not dead. Maybe he's trying to tell me something else. Can we find out? Please?" Desperation tinged her voice.

"I'll see what I can do," Dr. Waverly said. "Meanwhile, I want a sleep study done. I think the results could tell us a lot."

"Whatever it takes to make her well," Don said. "I just want my baby to feel better."

"That's our goal too, Mr. Donovan," Dr. Waverly assured him. "Let's get you set to go home," she said to Blythe.

"I thought you wanted a sleep study," Blythe replied.

"It can be done at your home," she said with a smile. "The technician comes to you, sticks the leads on and can monitor by remote. Unless you'd rather go to the sleep study facility."

"Home would be better," Don said, before Blythe could reply. Since he voiced her opinion, she didn't mind.

"I'll get it set up. Elam?" She motioned with her head.

"I'll be back soon." He squeezed Blythe's hand before walking away with the doctor.

When they were out of hearing distance, Dr. Waverly spoke in low tones. "How well do you know this girl?"

"I just met her the other day when she came in after her accident. Why?"

"Something strange is going on. I want to pursue the inquiry into the whereabouts of that patient. That could be a lead to figure out what's happening to her. Do you remember his name or where he was transferred?"

"No, ma'am. That was a lot of patients ago. Once he was transferred, I didn't think about him again."

"He wasn't my patient. Do you know who operated on him?"

"No, but I might be able to find out."

"Do so. I'm going to order that sleep study and see what's what." She walked rapidly away, head down, hands in the pockets of her lab coat. "Fascinating," she muttered.

Elam grinned, watching her walk away. He liked her enthusiasm. If she found this case fascinating, she would do everything she could to help Blythe. He headed to the nurses' station in the surgical wing. If anyone remembered the guy with a tree branch in his chest, it would be the head nurse on night shift. She'd been on duty when they brought the man in.

Blythe and her father waited impatiently for Elam, or the doctor, to come back. Neither of them arrived, but Paul came to fetch them. He walked them back to the ER, but took them to a cubicle rather than back to the waiting room.

"Dr. Waverly said to let you know the sleep study has been ordered. She's scheduling it with the technician now."

"Where's Elam?" Blythe asked.

"No idea, I'm sorry. I can text him."

"Please. I don't have my phone."

Paul pulled out his phone and sent a message to Elam. His phone buzzed a moment later.

"He's on his way," he replied. "I'll let him know where you are."

"Thank you. Everyone has been so kind."

"No problem," Paul replied with a grin. "This is the coolest thing ever to walk through the door." He realized what he'd said and blushed. "I don't mean it the way it sounded. I meant we all want to find out what's wrong."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...