Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 26


Elam shivered, pulling her close. He did his best to avoid her bruises, but his excitement got the better of him. She winced and he eased his grip, but his lips never left hers and his hands traced the curves of her body. Nibbling hungrily at her neck, his fingers undid her blouse.

Blythe put her hands on his chest, pushing him away. "I'm not going to have our first time be humping on the porch swing."

"No, you're right. Come home with me."

Shaking her head, Blythe scooted away from him, putting up her hand to keep him from following her.

"I like you, Elam. So much, I can't describe it. And—dear God, I want you more than I ever thought possible. But not tonight and not like this. I feel like we've known each other forever."

"But it's really been a couple days." He nodded, turning his head away.

"Can you wait a little longer? Please?" She stroked his cheek, turning his face back to her.

"I can wait as long as you need me to. I'm not going anywhere, Blythe. I'm here for the long run. I know I'm not Alec, and you haven't known me your entire life...."

"You're an amazing man, Elam. You're smart and handsome and you make me laugh. You set my insides on fire, even more than Alec did. He was warm and comfortable, like an old robe and fuzzy slippers. You're not like that. You're new and different—and I really like that about you. Yes, I'm bound to make comparisons, but you keep coming out ahead. That doesn't diminish Alec in any way, it just shows me what a good man you are."

"Thank you," he whispered. "Then I'll take what I can get," he sighed. "And wait for what I want."

"It will be that much better."

"Keep telling yourself that." He chuckled softly, stroking her chin with his thumb.

They kissed awhile longer. The lights clicked off inside and Blythe knew her father had headed to bed. Her phone beeped. A text from her mother.

"Are you coming in soon? Daddy wants to set the alarm."

"Busted. Mom knows we're here," Elam said after glancing at her phone.

"She probably saw the car in the driveway."

"Your folks are cool. I'm twenty-eight years old and my mom would have been tapping on the window—or worse, she'd come after us with the broom."

"Mom used to do that sort of thing when I as younger, but once Alec and I made a firm commitment to one another, that stopped."

"My mother would probably turn the hose on me, if she knew what I was thinking right now."

"What are you thinking?"

Elam nibbled her lip. "What do you think I'm thinking?"

Blythe giggled. "I'd better get inside."

"Yeah. I have to work tomorrow. When are you heading back to your place?"

"Maybe tomorrow, if Mom will let me. Call me when you're done at work."

"Will do."

Elam gave Blythe another kiss and they parted. Blythe watched him back out of the driveway from the window by the front door. He stopped at the red light on the corner, so she sent him a text.

Yee Haw!

He sent one back. ur killing me.

The light changed and he made his left turn. Soon, he was out of sight. Blythe headed to the guest room. She hoped her mother would allow her to leave tomorrow. She didn't want to overstay her welcome, and she really wanted to go home, so she and Elam would have more privacy. She wasn't quite ready to take him to bed, but it was close. She liked and admired him—she was attracted to him. And she was curious what sex with another man would be like. She'd never had anyone but Alec. Would Elam discover the things she liked best? Would he do everything he could to please her, as much as she pleased him? What would he feel like inside her?

Making herself crazy with desire, she took a shower. Trying to get the goop out of her hair distracted her for a little while, but her insides hummed and thrilled for Elam's touch. She knew she wouldn't make him wait long, because she couldn't wait herself.

She wasn't afraid, when she lay down. Up until now, she'd been scared of what would happen in her dreams. Now, she was curious whether Malachi would appear in her dreams or not. If he did, would she be able to communicate with him? Her eyes shut and she fell into a deep sleep.

"What the fuck!"

The car swerved. There was a bump and a crunch. The vehicle spun. For a moment, Micah righted it, but there was a curve in the road. The brakes grabbed, but the tires slid on the grassy verge.

"We're dead!" Malachi yelled, throwing his arms up, as if that would stop the inevitable.

Micah screamed as the car hit the first tree, then the second and a third, finally grinding to a stop between two more. A branch came through the window. Malachi watched in slow motion, as it pierced his chest. Blood sprayed all over the interior, splatting against the dash and windshield. It wasn't just his blood.

"Micah! Oh, Jesus!"

He sensed his brother was near death before he touched him. The the impact had forced the steering wheel into his ribs and pelvis. This was an old Jeep, built before the days of airbags. Not that an airbag would have helped at all. The blow had crushed him. If he wasn't dead yet, he would be, from slow internal bleeding. Micah twitched, his fingers grasping at nothing.

"Micah! Buddy?"

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...