Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 22

 "I've got GPS, I'm sure I can find you."


"Great! My name is Sarah. Ask for me when you arrive."

"I will. Thank you, Sarah."

"You're very welcome, Mr. Armitage."

He hung up, grinning. "That was so easy. Why did I think it would be hard?"

"Do you feel like we're supposed to find him? It seems like every step has brought us there."

"It does seem that way. And I feel, strangely, that we were supposed to meet, too. I don't know why."

"Why doesn't matter, does it? It feels so right with you." Blythe put her arms around his neck, kissing him deeply. "I never thought when I got in my car that day, that my life would change so much, so fast."

"Me either. I wasn't even supposed to work that shift. I traded with Paul, so I could get some extra hours in with the truck."

They kissed again, more passionately. The clock struck again, making them laugh.

"I feel like Cinderella," Blythe said. "Promise me, you won't turn into a pumpkin."

"Never. Orange isn't my best color."

"Let me change. I need to put on a bra, at least."

"I dunno. I like the no bra look."

"Not if I'm meeting someone's mother. Back in a minute." She gave him a quick kiss and headed to her room, taking a moment to call her mother and let her know where they were going.

"Are you sure? This could be very traumatic, honey."

"I know, but I feel like I have to, Mom. Something is going on here. I think—I think Malachi needs me."

Her mother sighed softly. "I think you're right. Do me a favor, though. Take Lori or Jason along. Not that I don't trust your young man. I think he's a fine fellow. But if this gets difficult, he might need their help."

The front door banged shut. "Be-Be!"

"Funny you should mention it. Lori just got here. I'll see if she can go."

"Love you, honey. Be safe."

"I will. Love you too, Mom." She hung up. "Hey, Lor-Lor! I'm in here!"

Her friend barged in as she was changing. They had seen one another naked, or partially dressed, so many times, it didn't even bother Blythe.

"We're taking a day trip," Blythe explained. "We're going to see the man—the one who helped me in my accident."

"The one you keep seeing in your dreams?"

"Yes. We found him, Lori. He's in a coma. Will you come?"

"Of course, honey. Let me call Jason."

"If you have plans, I don't want to interrupt."

"He'll come, too. We were just going to meet up, spend a little time together. It's so wonderful not having to hide how we feel."

"I don't know how I missed it. I must have been more wound up in Alec than I realized."

"A little." Lori held her fingers about an inch apart, winking at her. "Let's do up your hair." She picked up a brush. "Ookie! What is that?" She pulled a gobbet of something sticky out of Blythe's hair.

"Sleep study goo."

Lori pulled her hair up and braided it. They found Jason waiting in the kitchen with Elam.

"I hear we're going on a road trip. I invited myself."

"Welcome aboard. Who's driving?" Elam asked.

"You drive. I wanna neck with my sweetie in the back seat," Jason said.

"Fine, but you drive on the way back," Blythe said. "Because I want equal necking time."

Jason frowned, sighing. That had always been the arrangement when they were kids. Alec drove going out, Jason drove going home. "Sure," he said quietly.

Lori laid a hand on his arm. "You have to let go," she said softly. "Alec would want you both to move on. I think that Elam is a pretty good replacement for both of you." She glanced at Elam, tipping her head from side to side. "Sorry, poor choice of words. But you get it, right?"

"Yeah. Can I say that I'm honored that you've all accepted me. Alec was a damn lucky man to have the three of you as friends. I hope one day that I can say the same." He took Blythe's hand. "Because I never had a woman as amazing as you." He kissed her fingers.

Jason held out his hand for the keys. "I'll drive up, you drive home. Deal?"

"Deal." Elam handed over his keys. He and Blythe climbed in the back seat of his car, a dark blue Santa Fe with beige interior.

Jason helped Lori in the front seat before hopping in the driver's side. He caressed the steering wheel before adjusting the mirrors. "Nice ride, bro. Still has the new car smell."

"Thanks. I got it a couple months ago."

"Where am I going?"

Elam rattled off the address while Jason fed it into the GPS. Elam was far more interested in kissing Blythe. She sat in the middle seat in order to make that a more comfortable pastime.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...