Friday, October 28, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 21


"I got to thinking, we were going about our search all backward. Why wait for the nurse, when we have the world at our fingertips?"

He typed a search into Google. "We know when the accident was. We know where. All we need is who."

The page filled with hits. He eliminated the ones that didn't apply, leaving five. Further checking brought it down to two. One was a newspaper article. Elam clicked the link.

Holding her breath, Blythe peered over his shoulder. His face was so close, she could feel his body heat, making her tingle. Smiling, he kissed her cheek. The page opened.

Front page, headline, huge picture of a mangled, shredded wreck wrapped around a tree in a deep canal off the side of a country road. The area was swampy, overhung with Spanish moss.

"Deadly Wreck on Maytown Road," the headline announced.

Elam pulled Blythe onto his knee so she could see the page better. He'd already read the article through several times, nearly memorizing it, though it was etched in his memory. The gristly scene still haunted his dreams.

Blythe's breath came in short bursts as she read. "Malachi Garafolo, 28, and his brother, Micah Garafolo, 26, were involved in a deadly accident when their car hit a deer on Maytown Road at three o'clock a.m., Thursday, November 1. Micha Garafolo was declared dead on scene. Malachi was taken to the hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

"First responder, Elam Armitage, 27, is quoted as saying, I never saw anyone live through a wreck that devastating. That's you!" She kissed his cheek, excited to see his name in print.

The article followed with details of the crash, provided by the emergency team. A ten point buck had dashed in front of the vehicle. Skid marks on the pavement, and the dead buck, showed investigators what had happened. Malachi Garafolo was unconscious when emergency personnel arrived, though witnesses said he was awake when they found him. He regained consciousness briefly after surgery, but was unable to confirm any details.

"How sad. Does it say where he went after he left here?" Blythe asked.

Elam scrolled down a little. "It says he was taken to Rosemont."

"What's that?"

"Long term care facility for dementia and Alzheimer's patients, as well as—people in a coma."

"You think he's still in a coma?"

Elam shrugged. "I don't know. Dr. Waverly might be able to find out."

"I don't know how she would come up with a believable story. Things get so sticky with HIPPA codes." She sighed. "Do you think we could go visit him?"

"Where, at Rosemont?"

"We could call to see if he's there. You're one of the emergency team who saved him. Maybe you could say you were interested in his case."

"Honey, he's probably not there anymore. He could be dead, for all we know."

"Does it hurt to ask?"

Her dark eyes held sorrow and pain. Elam couldn't stand to see such raw emotion there.

"It wouldn't hurt a thing," he agreed. "Let me see if I can find a number. Maybe someone will talk to me."

He did a quick Google search and found the number for Rosemont Private Hospital near Ocala, Florida. It was described as a quiet, serene spot, nestling in the embrace of the Ocala National Forest. Elam found a number and called.

"Rosemont Hospital, how may I direct your call?"

"Hi, my name is Elam Armitage. I am calling regarding one of your patients, Malachi Garafolo. You see, I was a first responder on the accident scene, and I got to thinking about him and wondering how he is. Is he still a patient there?"

"Yes, Mr. Garafolo is still one of our clients. What did you say your name is?"

"Armitage. Elam Armitage."

"Mr. Armitage, are you a friend of Mr. Garafolo's?"

"Not exactly. I helped save his life, but he was unconscious at the time."

"This is extremely irregular...."

"I know that what I'm asking is weird. But—I can't get him off my mind. I know it sounds crazy, but I wondered if I could come see him."

"His mother is here. I'll ask her. May I get your name and number?"

"Sure." Elam told her his name, spelling it slowly for her. He gave her his number as well. He'd hardly hung up when his phone rang.

"Mr. Armitage, I just spoke with Mrs. Garafolo. She would be pleased if you'd come see her son. When do you want to come?"

"I'm about three hours away. When would it be convenient?"

There was a brief consultation. Elam could hear the receptionist speaking to another woman. "Could you be here by four?"

"Today?" Elam checked his watch. "Yes, I think we can manage that. I'd like to bring my girlfriend with me, if that's all right?"

"I don't think Mrs. Garafolo would mind. We'll see you at four. Check in at the front desk when you arrive. Do you know how to reach us?"

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...