Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 20


"Do you really believe all that?"

"Honestly, honey, you got so much better, yes. I may have been born and raised Catholic, but even they couldn't give me answers. She did. Katrinka was immeasurable help."

"Katrinka?"

"It wasn't really her name. It was something commonplace, like Katie. She went by Katrinka because her spirit guide was a Russian peasant."

"I thought they all had princesses as guides."

Her mother laughed. "The charlatans, perhaps. Katrinka, or Katie, was the real deal. You could feel it around her, this power. Comforting, consoling—just pouring out of her. I still have her number."

"Oh, Mom, be serious. I'm not going to go see some new age witch."

"She's not a witch, Blythe Anne. You should be more respectful. Katie said this could happen. A trauma of some sort could trigger it. I thought losing Alec might, so I called her. She did a long distance healing for you. For something this profound, I think you should go see her."

"I'll be fine, Mom."

"I'll find her number anyway. I know you think it's nonsense. I did too, until you had your first good night's sleep in four years. After that, I was a believer."

"I'll think about it, Mom."

"That's all I can ask," her mother replied as she gathered up her dishes.

Feeling at loose ends, Blythe had a shower, washing her hair three times to get the goop out. She wasn't sure she'd gotten it all, but didn't think her hair could handle another shampooing. Instead, she loaded up on conditioner, combing it through before rinsing it out.

Dressed in another new pair of pajamas, she went to find her mother. Instead, she found a note. "Honey, gone to my garden club meeting. There's plenty of food in the fridge for lunch. Just heat something up. Here's Katrinka's number." She had put both the note and a business card on the refrigerator door with a pair of magnets.

Blythe looked at the business card. It looked normal enough. She still couldn't bring herself to call. Maybe later. Right now, she wanted to read something, and escape from the weirdness her life had become. Grabbing a tawdry romance novel from her mother's book shelf, she curled up in the bay window in the den. The TV was on her favorite music station played softly in the background. Her phone rang, startling her from her reading. Setting the book aside, she saw the call was from Elam.

"Hi, there!" she greeted him.

"Hi to you, too. What are you doing right now?"

"Sitting here, bored out of my mind. Mom's at one of her many meetings. Why?"

"Can I come over? I had an idea how to find our mystery man."

"Sure. I should probably get dressed first."

"You're naked?"

Blythe couldn't tell if he was happy or shocked at the idea. "No, I'm in my pjs. How fast a man's mind dives into smut."

"Babe, I'm a guy. I live there."

Blythe hesitated. Alec used to say the same thing. In so many ways, this man was like Alec, but in so many others, he wasn't. She found that she enjoyed the differences more than the similarities.

"You still there?"

"Yeah. Sorry. Not quite awake yet, I guess."

"I'll see you in about twenty, will that give you time to get dressed?"

"Yes. I've showered, just sitting around in pink flannel. I'd like to be better attired."

"Not if it's going to make you uncomfortable."

"Jeans and a T-shirt—no bra." She had the satisfaction of hearing him groan as she hung up.

Elam arrived 22 minutes later with a laptop and a bag of muffins from a local bakery. She opened the door and greeted him with a welcoming kiss. He couldn't hold her properly with both hands full. He set the bag and laptop on the floor so he could embrace her. The clock striking the hour made them realize they'd been kissing nearly 15 minutes.

Blythe licked her lips as Elam bent to retrieve his things. She enjoyed kissing him. She and Alec used to kiss hours at a time, losing themselves in it. Their lovemaking was soft and gentle. No huge fireworks, but a warm, steady glow that was satisfying, fulfilling. She was nervous and anxious about eventually making love to Elam, but excited at the prospect. So different from Alec, but so similar. What would it be like?

"You didn't hear a thing I just said, did you?" Elam teased. "Lost in a drug induced haze?"

Blythe chuckled. "No. I haven't had any since yesterday. Lost in another haze entirely."

They stared at one another a long time. Elam finally snapped out of it, holding up the muffins. "Midday snack. Got coffee to go with?"

"Sure. Mom set up a pot before she left. Which is good, because I'm not as skillful at it as she is."

Elam followed her to the kitchen. Blythe started the coffee pot while he opened up the laptop. She set out cups, sugar and cream while it booted up.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...