Thursday, October 13, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 17


They pulled into the wide driveway of the two story Victorian house on the river. They had a view of the barrier island across the wide expanse of water. Carriage lights illuminated the front and sides of the yellow and white structure. The bright red door glittered invitingly.

There was an extra car in front of the house, Jason's. Blythe wasn't sure what to think when her father helped her to the door. Elam met them on the porch.

Blythe took his hand, squeezing tight. "You ready?"

He grinned. "I've met your family before. Don't worry."

Try as she might, Blythe couldn't conjure up as casual an attitude. She was worried what Jason might say or do. Surprisingly, her brother was on his best behavior. Perhaps their father had laid down the law. Or maybe he'd decided to let go. Whatever the case, she was glad. They walked into the brightly lit foyer. A diamond dust mirror graced the wall to the right. The hardwood floors shone with a silky, muted sheen.

Charlotte Donovan greeted Elam like a long lost son. She hugged him tightly, kissing his cheeks, before enthusiastically introducing him to Lori.

"So, you're the hot orderly, huh?" Lori moved closer, inspecting every inch of him. Her eyes swept him from head to toe, lingering longer in the area of his belt buckle. "You'll do."

"Thanks?" Elam laughed nervously.

"You have your best friend's approval," Lori said in an imperious tone. "He's acceptable."

"Thanks, Lor-Lor. Good to know."

"If she hadn't approved me, would you still go out with me?"

"Probably," Blythe said, tossing her long, brown hair over her shoulder. "But I wouldn't have talked about it afterward."

"And that's a bad thing?" Elam asked Jason.

"I dunno, man. I don't understand it either. Want a beer?"

"You having one?"

Jason's eyes traveled around the circle of family members. "Oh, hell, yeah. You can crash in my room if you have to. Lori's my designated driver for the night." He led Elam into the kitchen.

The door dropped shut behind them. Jason turned sharply, confronting Elam. "You gonna hurt my baby sister?"

"Not intentionally."

"You gonna try to get in her pants?"

Elam frowned, shrugging. "Duh, I'm a guy." He spread his hands to show how obvious an assumption that was. "But I'm a patient man. I won't force it." He paused taking the beer. "She has to move on, Jason. If it's not with me, it's with someone else. I really like your sister. Whatever's going on with her, I'm cool with it."

Jason took a sip of his beer. "Not every guy would be. Hell, I'm not even sure I would."

"She's a very special woman. I could see that the second I met her. She's beautiful, funny—sexy as all—"

Jason glowered. Elam laughed at him.

"I'm just fucking with you, man. But seriously—"

Jason punched his arm, making Elam spill some beer. He licked his thumb as Jason got him a paper towel. By the time they'd wiped the beer off the floor, and Elam had washed his hands, they were getting along. Despite the fact he was intruding on a age old friendship, becoming part of a group that had spent their lives together, Jason liked Elam. He was a good man, in some ways better than Alec. He was quick witted, and had a lively sense of humor. He might even be quick enough to keep up with Lori, no small feat.

Since the sleep study technician was supposed to arrive at 10:00, Jason, Lori and Elam left at 9:30. Blythe walked Elam out to his car, waiting for her brother and friend to leave. They gave hugs and kisses before heading back to Lori's apartment.

"So, did I pass muster?" Elam asked playfully.

"You did great. I'm so sorry to put you through all that. We aren't even officially dating." She leaned against his car, gazing up into his blue eyes.

"Would you like to be?" Elam took a step closer, his hands barely touching her waist.

"Yes," she agreed quietly. "I would. But there's something I have to do first." She raised her left hand, the back of it to him. With a quick twist, she took off her ring and stowed it in her bra.

Elam watched the process with interest, his eyes drifting from her finger to her chest. A slow smile tugged at his full lips.

"Thank you. It means a lot to me."

Blythe tugged at his belt, pulling him close. "Show me," she replied.

Elam's hands circled her waist. Her chest pressed against his as he lowered his face to hers. A spark hopped between them. Lips stinging, Blythe intensified the kiss to rid herself of the discomfort. Elam was as careful as he could be, but he held her too tightly. His hand clenched her bruised ribs, making her gasp. Hopping back a step, he apologized.

"It's okay. That will go away soon," Blythe assured him.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...