Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 6


"It was a tumor. When they opened me, they found that I'm riddled with cancer. It's too far along to treat, without extreme measures. Honestly, I don't have it in me to fight it."

"Are you going to tell your daughter?"

"Yes. Everything in her life is such a mess. I hate to add to it. I had to talk to someone, to get a fresh perspective."

"I can't make that decision for you, Wanda. But you're not an old woman. You're otherwise healthy. I think you owe it to yourself – and your daughter – to pursue treatment."

"It's just such a long haul. Chemo and more surgeries, along with radiation treatments. I just can't do it alone."

"You aren't alone. You have your daughter here. For better or worse, she's in the perfect position to help you. You won't be alone. You'll have Wynter. And God." He took her hand. "And me. I know that Father Charlie is your parish priest, but if you ever need someone else to talk to, you can call on me."

"Thank you, Obi. You've always been such a comfort."

"Do you want me here when you tell her?"

"Please. She's going to need you, too."

"I'd be happy to help her, even if she's a member of St. Blase, she's still my sister in Christ."

"I don't mean like that. I mean like a man."

"Wanda...."

She held up a hand, stopping his protests. "I get it. You barely know her. But I read people well, I always have. And I see two young people who need one another. Even if you're just friends – for now. It could grow into more, you just have to give it a chance."

"Why are you trying to fix me up?"

"Because I see your pain. I don't know what's happened in your life, but you need one another. I feel it." Thunder rumbled and the sky darkened. Wanda's expression turned to worry. "I'd better call Wynter. She doesn't need to be out in that. She's terrified of storms."

"Call her. I'll go look."

Before he left, she gave him Wynter's phone number. Racing to the elevator, he tapped his foot when it didn't appear. It lingered four floors up. Unwilling to wait, he hit the door to the stairway. Down he trotted, hoping that Wynter was all right. He wasn't a fan of thunderstorms, if he was outside. Inside, he didn't mind—too much. Hitting the bottom of the staircase, he took the door outside, heading to the Zen garden. He didn't see Wynter, but he heard a phone ringing. Knowing it wasn't his, he followed the sound. It stopped, then started again. It was coming from the gazebo which was built on stilts, overlooking a pond.

"Wynter!" he called. "Wynter? It's Obi, can you hear me?"

He heard a sob to his left. She was hiding under the bench, huddled in a terrified heap. Her phone rang again, so he answered it.

"It's Obi. I found her. She's okay, but scared. We'll be in shortly." Hanging up, he handed the phone to Wynter. "Let's get inside before the rain starts."

It took some doing to get her to crawl out. The space was far too small for both of them, and he wasn't a fan of staying outside in bad weather. Helping her up, he guided her back to the door, only to find it uncharacteristically locked. Big drops of rain started falling. Though there was an overhang, it was twelve stories up, and didn't provide much protection. He wasn't sure where an open door would be, so he guided Wynter to the nearest entrance he knew, the emergency room.

By the time they got there, they were soaked. The charge nurse approached quickly, from behind her desk.

"Are you folks okay?"

"It's all right, Celia. We're just wet, and a little nervous."

"Oh, my goodness, Obi? What are you doing outside in all this?"

"Can we get a couple blankets. I'll explain when we get Wynter warmed up."

"Sure. One second." She brought towels, as well as blankets from a nearby warmer, wrapping one around Wynter's shoulders.

Obi had to fend for himself, but he didn't mind. An orderly brought more towels, and another nurse brought coffee. By this time, the charge nurse had done an assessment, and realized that Wynter was fine.

"Why were you outside?" she asked again.

"Her mom is here. She'd asked to see a priest, so I came over. Wanda had a few things to talk about, so Wynter went outside."

"And thunder!" Wynter whispered, grasping her coffee in both hands. She shook so, Obi was worried she'd spill it, so he took it from her. She didn't seem to notice. "I hate thunder," she whimpered.

"I'm not a big fan either," the nurse, Jan, said. "But you're all right now, sweetheart. Do you want to go back up to see your mom?"

"Yes, please," Wynter said quietly. "I'm so cold!"

They brought another blanket, wrapping it around her. The same orderly brought them clean scrubs to change into. Obi went in the bathroom, but the nurse helped Wynter change in one of the curtained treatment areas. When he came back out, with his wet clothing in a bag, Wynter was seated in a wheelchair.

"She's okay, but I was a little worried about her. She's not diabetic, or anything, is she?"

"I don't know, Jan. I just met her a little while ago. We just ate, so it's probably not her blood sugar. Let me talk to her."

"Okay, hon. You holler if you need me."

"I will. Thanks."

She gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek. They'd been friends for a long time. She was a student nurse, when he worked there. They'd tried dating for a short time, but it hadn't worked out, though they'd remained friends. Now, she was married with two girls, and he was alone.

"Hey there," he said, squatting by the chair.

Wynter hardly focused on him. He took her hands, they were cold, despite the warm blankets.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...