Thursday, March 02, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 57


They dropped Dr. Waverly at the hospital. Elam drove Blythe to her parents' house so she could borrow a car and do some errands.

"I'll be done around five," he said.

"Great. Come straight home," she said. "I have a surprise."

"Oh, really?" He raised a curious eyebrow. "Sounds like fun." He kissed her before getting back in the car.

After a short chat with her mother, Blythe drove to the nearest hardware store. She got copies of her keys made for Elam. A quick call to his mother assured her she was free for a visit. When Blythe arrived, Katrinka greeted her with hugs and kisses.

"Let me look at you," the spiritist said. She gazed deeply into Blythe's eyes. "My son is good for you."

"He's wonderful. I'm so lucky to have found him."

"Are the nightmares better?"

"Yes." She related the two dreams and how Elam had brought her back. She also told Katrinka of the experience with Malachi. "Do you think I'll continue to dream now?"

"I think so, but you mustn't worry. I can train you to handle what you see. Do I think you'll keep dreaming of car accidents and death? I don't know. But with Elam there, you'll be all right. He's far stronger than he likes to admit. We all have unique skills, which I would love to explore with you, if you'll let me."

"I would be delighted and honored. There's so much in the human mind that can't be explained. I'd like to look into it."

"I think that your friend, the doctor, will also be interested in our explorations. I see a book in our future," she said with a grin.

Blythe wasn't sure whether to believe her or not, but saw no reason not to. "I think that sounds wonderful."

They talked a little while longer, then Blythe headed back to her apartment. She started dinner, waiting for Elam. The keys were in a special box in the bedroom. Of course, the presentation would be made there.

He arrived by 5:30, happy and smiling. Sweeping Blythe up in his arms, he kicked the door shut as he kissed her, already carrying her to the bedroom. His clothing ended up in a heap, as did hers. Hungrily, he kissed her, enjoying her enthusiastic response. Their lovemaking was a celebration. Malachi was awake, she was well and they were together. Their romp was lively and satisfying. Afterward, Blythe rolled over to the bedside table.

"I told you I had a surprise."

"I thought we just had the surprise portion of the evening." Elam grinned, teasing her lips with the ends of her hair.

"Nope. Here." She handed him the box, waiting expectantly as he opened it.

Inside, there was a heart shaped keyring, with the keys to her apartment. "I want you to be able to come and go as you want. Sometime, when you're ready, I want you to move in. I know that's a big step," she rushed to say. "But you already mean so much to me. I feel like I've known you forever—"

Elam captured her mouth with his, kissing her deeply to thank her and to stop the babble.

"Thank you." He chuckled, grabbing his pants off the floor. He pulled out a small, paper bag. "I didn't have time to do this up all pretty, but open it."

She unfolded the flap and tipped the bag upright. A set of keys plopped into her hand.

"I stopped to get those made on the way home. I know you haven't even been to my place, but I want you to come and go as you want. And some day soon, I'd love to move in here, and make a home with you."

"Thank you."

They kissed a long time, only stopping when the kitchen timer went of. Laughing, Blythe ran to the kitchen to take dinner out of the oven.

After dinner, making love, and a shower, they sat on the couch munching on late night popcorn while they watched Dirty Dancing together. Blythe's phone rang, it was Jessamine.

"Hey there! How's everything?"

"Great. They're letting Malachi go home in a few days. Of course, they want lots of tests and therapy, but we can go home and be a real family."

"I'm so happy for you, Jessamine."

"And I have more news. We're getting married Christmas Eve. We want you, Elam and Dr. Waverly there. I'll send an invitation next week."

"Absolutely wonderful!"

"Great! Will you be maid of honor? With Elam as best man? Micah would have been—"

"I'm sure he'd be honored." She held the phone to her chest. "Would you be Malachi's best man?"

"Sure! I have experience," he quipped.

"He says yes. You can count on us."

"Excellent. Thank you again. Who knew that a little rainstorm would do so much?"

Blythe giggled. "Yeah, my car is toast, but I don't care. I woke a man from a coma, and found my soul mate. I'm gonna have to write a book."

"You should," Jessamine said. "Call it Dream Window."

"I just might do that. I'm really happy for you, Jessi."

"Me too—for you. Thank you again."

"You're welcome. Talk to you later."

They hung up.

"I can't remember a time I felt so good," Blythe said. "I'm so happy, I want to dance and sing."

"Go for it, babe. Can I watch?"

"No. I want you to dance and sing with me."

"I can do that," he said, turning up the TV.

It had just gotten to the last dance. Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley's voices blended in perfect harmony. Elam hopped up, holding out his hand. She stood, not sure what to expect. He swung her into a dance. His hips moved against hers, as they dirty danced together. Not only that, he sang along with Bill Medley, as he spun her around.

When the song was over, they collapsed, laughing, on the couch. Breathless, they gasped for air.

"I've had the time of my life," he sang softly. "And I owe it all to you."

"I never knew I could be so happy," she said, kissing him. "Alec—"

"Talking about the dead husband spoils the mood," he whispered.

"Just this once."

He nodded.

"Alec never made me so happy. He never did the things that you do. I'm so sorry he's dead, but I'm so glad I found you."

"Me too," he murmured.

She ran her hands over his body, exciting him more. Her mouth left his and she raked her teeth down his neck to his shoulder, licking the spot where she'd bitten him. "Yippie-ki-yay!"

Elam shivered, laughing. "Oh, you kinky darling."



THE END


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...