Saturday, June 01, 2013

If Music Be the Food of Love

My Son's Shobro Guitar

Music
Fun in Writing June 3, 2009
"If music be the food of love, play on!" ~Shakespeare

Ever hear a song that makes you cry? Or maybe one that makes you jump for joy, whistle happily in the shower or hum on your way to the grocery store? Music in one form or another surrounds us daily. Often, we don't even notice it unless it isn't to our liking. The muzak they play in elevators or on hold springs to mind.

Sometimes, if the music isn't to our liking, or is a little too loud, it's like an assault on the eardrums. How often have you had a car pass you in a parking lot with the bass thumping uncomfortably? I was in the Winn-Dixie one day when the windows started to shake. I thought a space shuttle was going up. Instead, I saw a car passing with huge speakers in the rear window, turned up so loudly, it made the windows vibrate.

When I work or drive, I have music playing. The only time I'm not listening to something is when I'm asleep. Partly this is because I want to put a barrier between me and my boys (or husband) making noise while I try to write. I also do it because I have a continuous ringing in my ears. The music provides a damper. The main reason I always have music playing is because it is as much a part of me as breathing. I have to have music to live.

For some people, that's probably hard to believe. Music isn't that big a deal for them. They can take it or leave it alone. Honestly, I don't understand that attitude anymore than they understand mine. Or people who like only one kind of music and won't listen to anything else. I've had friends who listened only to country or never wanted anything but heavy metal. Strange people! I like everything from classical to industrial heavy metal. The only thing I won't listen to much is rap, but there are a few songs I can tolerate, even like. Mostly, I'm a child of the 70's, loving my classic rock. I'm also a product of the 80's heavy metal crowd. Don't be surprised if I'm listening to Metallica in my car along with Tchaikovsky or Jimi Hendrix. I listen to it all.

What's my favorite band? I can't give you a definitive answer to save my life. I don't have a favorite song, but I do have some I like more than others. My play list is so long, I could listen to it for over three days before it ran out. It's divided into sections, softer songs, heavier songs, instrumentals, jazz, rock, metal.... Depending on my mood depends upon which section I listen to. Right now, it's a mix of mellow rock with some instrumental guitar rock for flavor.

Later, it will probably be German industrial metal. Or maybe funk metal, post grunge or alt/ punk. I might even throw in some hard rock and heavy metal. What's the difference between black metal, heavy metal, industrial metal, thrash metal, death metal and glam metal? Mostly the amount of screaming and hair swinging.

Dellani's books are available at all on-line retailers. For easy access, check out the publishers: Second Wind Publishing and Tirgearr Publishing



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...