Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I Love Dialogue! Drenched - Excerpt 3

Overall, it's sort of a confusing conversation for Elizabeth. She hasn't ever met a man like Dylan before and he puzzles her. Despite that, she finds herself interested. When he calls to reschedule their appointment for the following day, she isn't quite sure what to expect.

Why'd you leave, if you don't mind me asking.”
Never date a cowboy.”
I don't plan to. But why?”
I never met one who could spell or adhere to monogamy.”
Oooh, gotcha. So, you're single?” He sounded way too happy to hear that.
I don't date my bosses, Mr. Marshall,” she replied in a bone chilling tone.
No worries. We just sometimes keep some odd hours. I don't want a husband or boyfriend thinking I'm getting a lap dance from my secretary after hours.”
Tops and Bottoms is close, you can always go there.”
Exactly! That's what makes this location ideal.”
She sincerely hoped he was kidding, and strongly suspected he was.
You're actually more qualified for my job than I am. I'm not that close to my masters. I've got the in-house experience. I've been doing this sort of work for seven years now. How fast do you type?”
I can do a hundred words a minute. I know Word. . . .”
He made an impatient noise. “Do you have an above average IQ?”
I graduated with a 3.9,” she reminded him.
Can you put up with a man who's slightly ADD and hops from subject to subject like a squirrel on crack?”
I'm not sure I'd describe it that way, but if you're describing yourself, I'm keeping up with you.”
Can you multi-task?”
Depends on the tasks. I can't type and stand on my head, but I can jog on a treadmill and read.”
Can you eat and talk at the same time?”
Not with food in my mouth. I mean, I am physically capable of doing that, but ew. Why? Is that part of the job description?”
No. I'm inviting you to dinner. It's early yet, I'm hungry and a girl's gotta eat.”
Mr. Marshall, I. . . .”
Have no plausible excuse,” he concluded. “And please call me Dylan. You can meet me somewhere, if you like.”
I don't know where anything is around here. And I'm a little nervous going out in this weather. I'm not used to it.”
Okay, tell you what. I'll come pick you up and I'll risk the shitty weather. Will you join me then? Please? I'd really like to get to know you.”
Elizabeth sighed. “All right. I don't usually go out with men I don't know, Mister... Dylan.”
I don't usually ask out complete strangers, Elizabeth. But I hate eating alone. I have no food whatsoever at my place.”
How soon will you be here?”
Twenty minutes okay?”
Yes. That's fine. Don't expect perfection. It's dark and I can't see to put on makeup.”
I don't care. We won't do fancy. Do you eat meat?” He paused. Elizabeth thought she heard him curse softly. “I mean like steak,” he added sheepishly.
Elizabeth burst out laughing. “I wish I could see your face! I bet it was priceless. Yes. I like steak. And I occasionally eat meat.”
Dylan groaned softly.
I mean like chicken and pork, duh!”
I'll see you in twenty minutes. I'll be the guy who's got his foot in his mouth.”
Neat trick. Isn't it hard to drive like that?”
Amusing. Yeah. . . .”
Bye, Dylan. See you soon!”
Bye.” He hung up.

© 2015 Dellani Oakes


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...