Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 38



Vera and Sam are at the grocery store, where they see a girl who is a fan of Vera. It shakes her, and she almost has meltdown in the frozen food aisle, which is next to the beer. Sam talks her through.

"All with a Tontino's?" Sam laughed. "Cool idea."

They made their choices and headed to produce. A crowd awaited them. Dressed mostly in black, with a vibrant Smurf blue mixed in, a host of teenagers formed a wall across the produce section. They clutched CDs and photographs to their chests. When Vera and Sam appeared a shout went up and camera's clicked, taking a myriad of pictures. Startled, Vera screamed. She turned quickly, running into Sam, who was still standing behind her. He caught her as she took a tumble, helping her to her feet.

"Make them go away," she begged. "Please, Sam!" Dashing toward the sushi counter, she hit the double doors to the back of the store.

Several of the store employees followed her. Confronted with close to a hundred adoring fans, Sam decided he'd better take charge. Holding up his hands, he halted the stampede that threatened to follow.

"Hold up!" he bellowed. "Leave her alone. You!" He pointed to the first Goth girl to accost them. "Why did you do this?"

"I didn't! I wouldn't!" she babbled.

"She sent a text to everyone," one of the boys said. He showed a picture of Vera.

"We just want to show her how much we love her," another of the girls said.

"By ganking her at the grocery store? She's trying to get her life back. Scaring her isn't gonna do that. She's been through hell. I hope to god you haven't just screwed that all up for her. I'm gonna go back there and talk to her. Don't follow me," he warned, pointing at them. "If she decides to come out, you can get some pictures and autographs, but you're going to do it in an orderly fashion."

He pointed to the young man who'd spoken up. They were probably the same age, but Sam had infinitely more life behind him than the other kid.

"Line them up and I'll see what I can do. Any of you cause trouble, I'm calling the cops," he said, holding up his phone.

Silently, the crowd lined up, waiting. The young man did an admirable job on crowd control, with the help of some of the store personnel. Sam went through the doors and found Vera clinging to the sushi woman, sobbing. He took her gently, wiping her tears with a paper towel.

"You can do this," he murmured. "The Vera I know can handle this bunch of misfits. You're strong, you're courageous. You have boobs big enough to stop traffic."

Very giggled. "You bastard. This is one reason I started drinking. I just wanted to play my music—make some noise—annoy my mom. Then we got famous, and I couldn't handle the mobs."

"They're going to behave. I promise. And if they don't, I'll lay 'em flat. A few pictures. Some autographs. They love you." He tugged at her flannel shirt. "This is your armor, baby. Flash the tits."

Vera couldn't help laughing. She kissed Sam's cheek. "I wish there were two of you, then I could keep one for my bodyguard."

Clinging to Sam's arm, she went out the doors like a queen. Waving and smiling, she faced her fans. They clapped and cheered, but everyone kept their distance. By this time, members of the local press had shown up, as well as a handful of police officers. They kept the fans back. The boy whom Sam had tasked with keeping control, had everyone lined up. The deli manager had found a table and chair for Vera. She signed autographs and posed for pictures.

The fans put tips in a huge pickle jar. By the end of an hour, they were all cleared out, the pickle jar was full and things could get back to normal. The store gave them the groceries.

"We made a lot of money off those kids buying sodas and things while they waited," the manager told them. "More than enough to cover the cost. Come back anytime, but warn us, huh?" He winked.

Vera signed autographs and posed for pictures with the staff. By the time they were done, it was well after lunch time.

"We need to get back. Everyone will wonder what happened to us!" Vera said.

"That's what cellphones are for, silly. I called Emma and told her what was going on."

"My face is numb," Vera complained. "I haven't smiled that much in my life!"

"They love you, V."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...