Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 44

 


A police officer, Detective Tan, arrives. Sam tells him what they witnessed.

"I couldn't see him clearly. My distance vision isn't that great. I kinda need glasses. "

"Emma, could you see his face?" Robbie asked gently.

"No. But he was tall—well over six feet. White. Dark hair."

"That much I could see too," Sam agreed. "Kind of a big build. Not fat, just—big." He held his arms out from his sides, puffing his cheeks. "Like Steve Austin kinda big."

"Only with hair." Emma giggled a little.

"Steve Austin—with hair," Frank Tan repeated. "Facial hair? Clothing?"

"Might have had a beard," Emma said, stroking her chin. "Not a thick one. More like he hadn't shaved in a few days. He wore a lab coat like a doctor."

"He might have had on glasses," Sam added. "I think I saw light glimmer off his face."

"Yes," Emma nodded. "Dark frames."

Frank Tan turned to Robbie, Raleigh and Dr. Stewart. "Ring any bells?"

"Doesn't sound like any of our doctors," Dr. Stewart replied. "They run more along the lines of scrawny, short or stout. None of them are over six feet or muscular."

"That kinda sounds like one of the residents of the lock down wing," Raleigh said quietly. "Gordon is doing a headcount now. He can tell us if anyone is missing."

"Is there any way for a patient from the lock down to get to the weight room without being seen?" Detective Tan asked.

"I don't know. I've never really been in there. It's possible, I guess. But unlikely," Raleigh replied.

"Would someone have business after hours in the gym?" Detective Tan asked.

"No. That's all locked up no later than nine thirty. It's one of my jobs. I did it as usual. That will be on the security tapes. I have to punch a time clock when I do it. We also have a security guard who follows about an hour later and checks all the doors and windows. We are security conscious around here, Detective Tan. Some of those folks in lock down are very dangerous. The kids over here are basically harmless."

"Basically?" Tan's head came up, alert.

"I should have said completely harmless, sir," Raleigh amended. "I have their records if you want to see them."

"Thanks. I would."

The two men rose, leaving the others at the table.

"Anyone ever been arrested for assault?" Tan asked as they moved for the door.

Raleigh didn't reply right away, which Tan didn't miss.

"Has someone been arrested for assault?"

"I have," Sam said, standing slowly.

"You don't have to say anything," Dr. Stewart interjected. "That's juvenile offenses, Detective. Those records are sealed by court order."

"I have nothing to hide," Sam said quietly. "I've been arrested and done time in juvie for assault."

"Of my dad!" Emma cried, knocking down her chair as she stood. "For beating up on my sicko, pervert father and defending me! He didn't do anything, Detective. It's all just like he said. It's all my fault." She burst into tears.

Flinging herself into Sam's arms, Emma sobbed uncontrollably. Dr. Stewart and Robbie came over, hugging them both.

"I think that's my cue to go," Frank Tan said. He and Raleigh slipped out the door. "I don't consider the kid a suspect," he told Raleigh. "I appreciate the fact the told me. If he hadn't, I probably would have."

"Did they identify the victim?" Raleigh asked.

"I don't know. His face was pretty mashed up. No name tag or identification on him. We're gonna have to run prints and hope."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...