Thursday, November 05, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 39


With Sam's help, the mob scene at the grocery store, becomes a positive event.

"I couldn't believe it! All those kids telling me how my music had touched their lives. Unbelievable!"

They got to the van and found a handful of reporters there. All of them wanted an interview. Vera was ready to panic again when they shoved microphones and cameras in her face. Sam made them step off.

"Vera, just tell them what you told the girl inside," he prompted.

Taking a step forward, Vera ran her fingers through her hair. She smiled at the cameraman who was about her age. He grinned back, giving her a thumbs up.

"Vera, it's rumored you're in rehab at Ravenwood," a pretty blonde said.

"Yes. It was completely voluntary. I woke up one morning and I didn't know where I was or what I'd been doing. The last three days were a blur. I realized I was a mess and I evaluated my choices. You do some heavy thinking when you wake up with your face in a puddle of vomit. It wasn't pretty. Right then, I decided to stop drinking and partying. I still want to make my music, but I'm doing it differently.

"I let myself get into the lifestyle. One thing I've learned from my friends at Ravenwood, I don't have to do that. I let others have power over my actions. No more. I will still speak through my music, but my message is going to be presented differently."

"Do you plan on changing your musical style?" The blonde asked.

"A little. If it's speaking to those kids in there, I don't want to change it too much. But I want my message clear. I screwed up my life. I don't want them to do the same."

She turned away. The reporters pressed forward, but Sam shielded her with his body.

"Look, we have to get back," he said calmly. "If you want to do something useful, help us load up the groceries."

Laughing, the blonde's cameraman set aside his camera and took a bag from the cart. Several more men joined him. The groceries were loaded in no time.

"Will you call us when you're out of rehab?" the blonde asked.

Vera tilted her head to one side, closing one eye, as she examined the blonde reporter. "Yeah, maybe. Bring him. He's cute." Winking at the cameraman, she hopped in the front seat. "Drive, Sammy!" she commanded.

Sam took off carefully and headed out to the highway and home.

"What was that?" he asked as they got on the interstate.

"I don't know, but I hope it never happens again."

"Oh, come on. It was fun. You made their day. And who knows, maybe they will clean themselves up, too."

"I hope so."

They arrived at the gate of Ravenwood about 4:00. The gate swung open and they pulled up to the kitchen door.

"I'm glad they didn't need any of this stuff for dinner. We'd be eating twigs and berries," Vera said.

"I wonder if Raleigh's back," Sam replied. He picked up a box of groceries.

Vera took up another box and they walked to the kitchen door. The kitchen was empty. At that time of day, it should have been a bustle of activity with dinner preparations. Sam didn't see any food on the stove. Everything was really quiet. He set down his box and went looking for the others. Vera set her box down and followed him.

Sam pushed the door open between the kitchen and dining room. It was dark. Fumbling for the light switch, he cursed quietly when he couldn't find it. His hand bumped Vera's as she flipped up the switch.

"SURPRISE!" The room erupted with lights and sound.

Everyone stood around the dining room table. It was covered with pizza boxes, bottles of soda, paper plates and plastic cups. A huge cake sat in the middle. Happy 18th Birthday, Sam! It was a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing—his absolute favorite cake.

Emma came up, planting a kiss on both cheeks, then on the lips. "Took you long enough. God, we thought you'd been spirited away by fairies or something."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...