Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 6


The band started another song, also soft and easy to dance to. She hardly heard it, her attention focused on Cole. He led her around the dance floor with the same easy, casual grace he'd exhibited on the beach. Mara wasn't much of a dancer, but she felt so comfortable in his arms, she followed his strong lead as if born to it. Cole held her close, his arm firmly around her waist, bringing her into a series of tight spins worthy of Fred Astaire. The song ended and he dropped her into a magnificent dip.

Mara was panting, not from exertion, but from excitement. Never had she danced that way. Most of the men she dated were non-dancers. Cole took her breath away, moving sinuously as the song changed again to something with a syncopated Latin type beat. She felt lightheaded, as if her feet weren't touching the ground, dancing on a cloud.

Cole enjoyed the expressions on her face as he led her around the dance floor. She changed from surprised to delighted in a series of little gasps and pauses. He found himself dancing with her, better than he'd ever danced in his life.

The third song ended and he led her back to their table. It was then she realized they had been the only ones on the dance floor. As they made their way back to their table, the other diners clapped. Some cheered and several stood as they walked past.

Mara blushed a shade of pink that matched her dress. Cole stopped, bowed deeply, and worked the crowd for all it was worth. One exuberant woman tossed a five dollar bill at him, which he caught with a flourish and presented to Mara with a deep bow.

When they sat back down, Red yawned exaggeratedly. "You know what, buddy? I'm gonna call it a night. I think I'll call your sister, and talk dirty to her for an hour, before going to sleep."

"If you really want to, Red, I can't stop you. But you know...." He jerked his head toward the door. "If you feel like you need to go." He gestured with his thumb, tapping his foot under the table. "You know, by all means go. We'd love your company, bro." He pointed to the door again. "But we won't force you if you're tired."

"I think I'm being given the bum's rush," Red said, trying to look offended. "Seriously though, I am tired and I have to get up early. It was delightful meeting you, Mara. Don't keep the reprobate out late, he has to be up early, too."

"Thanks, Mom," Cole said to his friend, propelling him away from the table. "When I need your help getting rid of a lady, I'll tell you," he whispered.

Mara giggled, covering her mouth with her fingers. She wasn't sure she'd been meant to hear that. She liked Red, but was glad he was leaving. She found herself increasingly attracted to Cole and wanted his undivided attention.

Red paid the bill on his way out, waved the receipt at Cole and left to look for a cab.

"I thought he'd never leave," Cole said as he came back to the table. "Actually, he left at just the right time. That's why having the same best friend for thirty years, comes in handy. He knows when he's not wanted."

"I don't know," Mara joked. "I rather enjoyed his company. But if you really want to be alone, I'll gladly leave too." She stood and turned away from the table.

Cole grasped her gently by the hand. "I really want you to stay. That is, if you want to."

Mara sat, taking his hand in hers. "I want to stay very much. Actually, I want to leave, but in your company. I'd kind of like a walk on the beach under the stars."

"I'd like that too," Cole told her quietly.

He left Candy a big tip and they walked out the door and down to the beach strand. It was quiet here, only dimly lit. She could hear the sound of the ocean pounding against the shore. It reminded her of the pounding of her heart, that felt like it was about to jump right out of her chest.

They walked down near the water, and Cole stopped. Taking off his jacket, he put it around her shoulders. "It gets chilly down here at night." He smiled, the moon's reflection off the water lit his eyes.

"Thank you," Mara whispered.

Cole leaned in toward her, raising her face with a finger under her chin. His kiss was bold, tender, luxurious. Mara felt a tingle from her lips to her toes. Sighing, she leaned into his embrace. He held her firmly, but gently, pulling her close until their hips touched. His lips traveled down to her throat, brushing lightly like butterfly wings.

She was hot and flustered, hardly knowing how to proceed. He was obviously attracted to her, as she was to him, but she'd never had a vacation romance and didn't know how she felt about it. She turned her head away, breaking their embrace.

"I'm sorry," Cole whispered. "I've been wanting to do that since we met. You must think I'm an asshole."

"No," she said honestly. "I...well...."

"We just met, and you're asking yourself if I do this all the time. If I meet a woman, invite her out, lure her into a quiet place and proceed to have my way with her. That is what you're thinking, isn't it?" His intensity was a little intimidating, but he brought himself under tight control.

She nodded slightly. "Kind of."

"No," he answered simply. "I'm no saint, Mara, but I'm not out on the prowl either. I keep wondering if Red spiked that ball over to you on purpose. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself that."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books 

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...