Thursday, March 18, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 7


"Why would he do that?"

"I've been lonely a long time. No steady woman in my life."

"Bad breakup?"

He shook his head. "No, she was killed in a boating accident."

"I'm so sorry!"

"I lied," he chuckled, his forehead against hers. "She's alive and well. Probably kicking and screaming at someone. An incredibly bad breakup."

"Oh, you!" She shoved him so hard he took a step back. "You had me believing you were a widower!"

"Never been married. Emma was just the latest in a long line of incredibly bad choices." He shrugged. "How about you? Anyone significant?"

Mara shrugged, shaking her head. "Not really. I've had some steady men, but no one lately. Too busy," she sighed. "Always too busy."

"You should never be too busy for love, Mara."

She shrugged again, the conversation becoming uncomfortable. Truth be told, she had never found a man who excited her enough to stay with him for long. Sure, she'd dated some good looking men, or intelligent men, but never both. Cole was the first man she'd ever met who was smart, funny, handsome and a good dancer.

"Why couldn't we have met somewhere else at some other time?"

"What's wrong with here and now?"

"Because I'll wonder if this is all there is. Will I see you again?"

"I don't know how to answer that, except that sometimes you have to take what life offers. You throw yourself into it, and don't ever look back!"

"I'm not like that, Cole. I plan, think things out. I have a strategy, goals."

"And are you happy with where you are?"

It was a very penetrating question, and one she wasn't comfortable answering. Clutching his jacket to her elbows, she turned from him.

"I don't know. If you'd asked me yesterday, I would have said yes. But now.... I don't know."

"What's different about now?" But he knew the answer, he was just waiting for her to say it.

"You."

"We've got the here and now, Mara. More than that I can't promise."

His kiss set a fire inside her that billowed and grew as his hands brought her back to him. He held her in a gentle, yet unyielding, embrace, demanding her full attention. Mara didn't try to pull away, she didn't want to. All she wanted was to have him hold her and kiss her forever. They took a cab back to her hotel, kissing and cuddling in the back of the cab. Frank opened the door for them, smiling happily in greeting, but they hardly noticed. Taking the elevator, they had to behave themselves. There were two elderly couples in there with them.

The door to her room closed with a click of finality. Mara was getting cold feet, but she was determined to enjoy what Cole offered, even without guarantees. She expected him to kiss her again, instead he stood behind the door

"I had a thought," he said softly, his voice full of unspoken emotions. "I don't want you to think I'm here for a one night fling. I'll earn your trust if it kills me." He smiled slightly, turning abruptly away from her. He gazed out the sliding glass doors at the ocean.

"Cole...." but she had no more words for him. Her finger brushed his sleeve.

"Too many dishonest bastards out there," he muttered. "The only honest one left gets the shaft." His full lips formed a smile. "I'll treat you to the Bayard Tours special. We'll see the most beautiful spots on the island. Lunch and dinner included in the package. Tomorrow we'll go down the point about ten miles from here. Ever been scuba diving?"

Mara shook her head. "Never had time."

"No problem, I'll give you lessons. Among other things, I'm a certified instructor. You'll get back to the city with amazing skills, and a fabulous suntan." He held out his hand to her. "Deal?"

She was confused by the abrupt change. A few minutes ago he'd been all over her, making her pulse race. She'd been thinking of throwing her inhibitions to the wind, jumping into bed with a total stranger. Suddenly, he was offering to show her around and teach her how to scuba dive.

Cole raised his eyebrows questioningly, holding his hand closer to her. She took it tentatively.

"Deal."

"Great! I really do have to get up early to do something with Red, but we'll be done by ten. Can I pick you up here at ten thirty? Dress casual, this time I mean it!" He pointed a finger at her playfully, drew her to him once more, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Mara walked him to the door. Seeing him out, she was shutting the door when he turned back to her, taking her in his arms once more. This kiss was electrifying, making her tingle all over. Too soon, he released her with a deep sigh. Gasping breathlessly, she leaned against the frame of the door, too stunned to move.

"Ten thirty," he told her again before trotting to the elevator. "Come on, Cole," he muttered to himself. "Get a grip."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books 


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...