Thursday, March 04, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 3


"Who can blame them? Cats are independent natured. You can't trap the wind and water, so why try to cage a cat?" Her smile was warm and welcoming. "I have just the thing," she grinned, taking a dress off the rack. "I was saving this for your mother. She loves to buy pretty things for you and your sister. But now you've come yourself."

The dress was a dark, rosy pink fabric. Cut full at the bottom, the top was form fitting with puffy sleeves. Delicate white, pink and lavender flowers cascaded down from the bodice.

"It's beautiful!" Mara's eyes were wide with delight.

"Try it on," Auria told her excitedly, leading her to the dressing room.

"I hope it fits!"

"Unless your weight has changed dramatically, it will fit like a glove. It was made for you."

"Really?" Mara struggled out of her shorts and tank top carefully putting on the dress, zipping it up the side. "It's perfect," she breathed. "Absolutely perfect."

She walked out of the dressing room and stood before Auria. Her face was flushed with delight, her eyes sparkling.

"Now there's a dress!" Auria declared, clasping her hands together delightedly. "I do believe that is the most beautiful dress I've ever made!"

"You made this? For me?"

"With you in mind, to be sure. Your mother told me the kind of things you like, and what your favorite colors are. I knew this dress would be special."

"It's magnificent, Auria! I'll take it!"

Mara changed with care. As she was paying for the dress, she noticed the bag was bulkier than she'd anticipated.

"What's this?"

"Shoes and a purse," Auria replied. "My gift to you. I am delighted you liked the dress."

"I love it," Mara told her honestly. "It is the most beautiful dress I've ever worn!"

"Come back and see me again before you leave," Auria said. She hugged Mara, kissing her on both cheeks. "You are very like your mother," she told her. "I am so very glad to have finally met you."

"I'm delighted to have met you too, Auria."

Mara sang all the way back to the hotel, her dress and shoes swinging from her hand. When she got back, she had just over an hour to get ready for dinner. She took another shower, fluffed her short, curly hair into soft ebony ringlets, and put on her makeup.

Gazing at herself in the mirror, she noticed the resemblance to her mother that Auria mentioned. Her face was heart shaped with high cheekbones. Her eyes were wide set with long, dark lashes. Her lips were pink and full, hardly needing lipstick. A scattering of freckles danced over her nose and cheeks, the legacy of her red haired father. A little mineral powder foundation covered those.

Satisfied with her look, she got dressed. The sandals and purse were tooled leather in a sandy tan. Each was decorated with flowers that coordinated with the pattern of the dress. She tossed a few necessary items into the purse, grabbed her key card and realized she didn't know if Cole was coming up to the room or if she should wait for him in the lobby. Seized with indecision, she was startled by the phone.

"Yes?"

"Front desk, Miss Cross. There are two gentlemen here who say they have a dinner appointment with you. Shall I send them up?"

"Tell them I'll be right down," she sounded breathless like her mother. "Thank you!"

The elevator hardly moved fast enough for her, but finally it reached the ground floor. Mara walked out as if making her grand entrance at a debutante ball. She glanced around the lobby looking for Cole, but it was Red's signature hair that she noticed first. Cole was leaning over talking to the clerk at the desk. Both Red and Cole were dressed in crisp, natural linen suits with Polo shirts.

Red saw her, when she waved, and tugged Cole's sleeve. Cole glanced up and froze, a look of wonder flooding his face. They walked over to meet her and Cole couldn't keep his eyes off her. His mouth hung open slightly. Red popped his chin, closing Cole's mouth with a click of teeth.

"Wow!" Cole could hardly speak. "You look amazing! I said casual... But.... Wow!"

"What my tongue tied friend is trying to say is that you look lovely, Miss Cross." Red glanced at Cole, chuckling. "I'm Red, by the way, but I expect you know that. I apologize for my boorishness on the beach. Don't know my own strength." He grabbed his arm, flexing proudly in front of Cole's face.

"Call me Mara," she said sweetly. "I told Cole already, Miss Cross sounds too much like I'm the boss."

"What business are you in?" Red asked politely, offering her his arm.

"I'm an architect."

"But she's trying hard to forget the office," Cole finally found his voice. "So we are duty bound to help her forget, my rotund, red haired friend!" He offered his arm on her other side.

"I beg your pardon! I'm not rotund, I'm solid!" He smacked his fist against his belly to demonstrate.

Sandwiched between the two men, Mara walked out onto the sidewalk. Cole hailed a cab while Red struck up a conversation with the doorman.

"Frank, howdy!" They shook hands. "How's Belle doing? And the kids?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books https://www.amazon.com/Dellani-Oakes/e/B007ZQCW3A/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...