Thursday, May 20, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 25


"But, Mara," he started to get a whiny quality to his voice that had always annoyed her. "You're the historical expert. They really need your approval."

"Fine. My mom is scheduled for surgery this morning. I'll come in for a couple hours after that and look it over. You have everything on my desk and brief Phoebe completely so she can prioritize them for me."

"When did you get to be so bossy?" He sounded affronted.

"Since it occurred to me recently that you need me a hell of a lot more than I need you," she told him. "I'll see you later."

She hung up with a click, shocked and pleased at how she'd spoken to Jack. A couple years ago, he could have broken her career, now he couldn't even dent it. She was the golden girl of the firm, historically speaking, and he was right when he said he needed her approval on the paperwork. More than once she'd caught mistakes that would have cost them a bundle to fix later.

"If I quit, I could start my own firm. I don't need Jack Simpson or anyone! Except Cole."

Rosaline's surgery was set for nine o'clock. The family assembled in the waiting room, nervous and out of sorts. Cissy was, predictably, a basket case until Jeff took her in hand.

"This isn't about you, Cecilia," he told her firmly. "This is about Mom. Get a grip or get lost, your choice."

A long, petulant silence followed, but Cissy settled down.

Toby took Paul and went to get coffee for everyone. He also brought back a tray laden with slices of pie. He'd remembered the favorites of everyone, which was amazing, because Mara never could. They ate their pie and drank their coffee huddled in a corner of the waiting room.

Doctor Chambers came into the waiting room shortly after the surgery was over. He looked happy. They crowded around him, hungry for news.

"I am pleased at how well the procedure went and your mom is now speeding her way to a full recovery. When they get her settled, I'll allow you back to see her in pairs. Only five minutes each, I can't have the whole clutch of you back there at one time bothering my patient."

"Who goes first?" Cissy asked him.

"It's up to you how you want to split up," he told her.

After he left, Cissy spent a long time trying to organize who went first and which sibling went with whom. She babbled for a good ten minutes before Mara raised her hand.

"I think the rest of us want some input, Cissy. I, for one, don't want to go in with you."

"Why not?" Her sister whined.

"Because you're driving me crazy. I'd rather go in with Paul, if he doesn't mind."

"Works for me," her second oldest brother said with a smile.

"Jeff, do you mind shepherding Cissy? I think you can handle her better than the rest of us can."

"Happy to," he said flexing his muscle. "I'll strong arm her." He and Cissy were not quite a year apart.

"Toby and Livi first, they are the least likely to upset her. Then Paul and I, then Jeff and Cissy last."

"Why me last?" Cissy was upset, thinking that Mara was picking on her for some reason.

"Because of all of us, you're the most likely to get worked up," Paul told her. "If you go last, we all get our visit. If you go first, you'll get us all banned from the recovery room."

"Well thank you so much, my loving family! I don't believe I'm getting treated like this! Maybe I'll just go!"

Her brothers and sister stared at her. Without a word, they all pointed to the door. Only Olivia spoke.

"There's the door, honey. Don't let it tap you in the ass on your way out."

Cissy sat in peevish silence until she and Jeff were called back for their five minutes.

"Doc wants to know if any of us are staying until they take her to a room," Jeff said when they came out. "I'll gladly stay."

"I can't," Mara sighed. "The only way I could get the rest of my vacation time off was to tell Jack I'd come in for the afternoon."

"What a jerk!" Olivia squared her shoulders. "You know what I've been telling you about that man. Riding to fortune on your skirt."

Mara nodded. "It's all right, Livi. I've got a plan." She smiled secretively.

"Well, I'd love to stay, but I'm worn out," Olivia said. "My back and feet are killing me. I have to go to bed."

"I'll stay," Paul said quietly. "Cissy?"

She shook her head, still smarting from what Mara and her brothers had said. "I'll be back later. I have to go downtown, Mara. Shall I drop you at the office?"

"Please."

Hugs and kisses exchanged all around, they went their separate ways. Mara sensed that Cissy wanted to talk to her, and knew it was probably going to be a very long drive indeed. They hadn't even gotten out of the parking lot when her sister started in on her.

"That was plain mean, Mara! You're always doing that to me! You always make me feel small and dumb. Do you go out of your way to treat me like a child?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...