Thursday, May 13, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 23


"Well, because it's that kind of look that means the women have secrets, and are plotting to take over the world one man at a time," he said, backing away from her slightly.

"Baby, we could eat men like you three for breakfast, don't we girls? Snap you up quick as a lick!" She snapped her fingers under his nose. "But since we like you, we won't do that today."

Giggling, the three of them walked arm in arm out to the parking lot. Jeff walked up to Toby, thumping him on the shoulder.

"Pedro offers you his protection," he grinned.

"Thanks," Toby told him sullenly and followed his wife and sisters out to the car.
Despite the circumstances, dinner was a lively affair. When Mara and her siblings were together, they got very silly. There were few people they enjoyed being around as much as their own family, and it showed. Olivia was like one of them, she'd grown up in their midst, knew their ways and ran with it. Her own family was more sedate, so she had always liked visiting at the Cross residence.

The drive back to Toby's house was punctuated with lots of laughter. Olivia and Mara had a lifetime of jokes to remember, bringing up the wild things they did when they were young.

"You just remember one thing, Auntie Mara, when this baby comes along, we no longer discuss our crazy youth. So far as she knows, we were model students who never did anything wrong."

"You're the boss," Mara saluted her.

"You better believe I am."

In the front seat, Toby cleared his throat pointedly.

"Don't you give me that, Tobias. I'm the boss and you'd just better get used to it."

"Yes, ma'am," he smirked.

"You'd better say that and mean it!"

They pulled up to the house and into the garage. Toby helped Olivia out of the car and into the house. With a remote, he turned on the CD player. Toby was a music freak and had a house wide speaker system put in.

The distinctive strains of Linger started, freezing Mara in her tracks. Before the song was over, she was helplessly in tears.

"Toby, turn it off," Olivia scolded. "It's okay, honey." She took Mara in her arms. "It's all right. What's wrong?"

"I'm just being sentimental. It's nothing. Can I use the phone? I'll pay you for the call when you get the bill. I have to call him."

"Sure honey, use the one up in your room."

"Thanks. Goodnight." She didn't even stop to hug them, but dashed up the stairs to the guest room, closing the door firmly behind her.

Digging through her luggage, she found Cole's card. A call to the operator got her the proper international code and she dialed praying he'd answer.

"Hi, you've reached Bayard and Gilroy Consultants. We're not in right now, but if you'll leave your name and number and a brief message, we'll get right back with you."
The machine beeped. Mara hardly heard it, starting her message. Before she'd said three words, the phone clicked.

"Mara?" It was Cole. He sounded groggy. "Sorry, I was asleep. How's your mom?"
"I'm so sorry, I didn't think about the time. Mom's all right, but needs surgery. She sends her love and said thanks for the plant. I miss you." Her voice caught in her throat.

"I miss you too," he sighed. "I was hoping for another romantic evening.... Oh well."
"Did the meeting go well today?"

"Yeah, the guys were happy as pigs in shit over the locations. I even had scouted out a few local girls to dance. Each of them exotic, talented and eager to get the work. I went up a few notches on the wonderful scale."

"You're already at the top of my wonderful scale, there's no place left to go."

"Then I'll teeter perilously at the top, waiting for you to come back to me. You are coming back, aren't you?"

"As soon as Mom's better. I'll ask for family illness leave and continue my vacation later."

"Will they do that?"

"If they want me to stay on there, they will. If Jack won't cooperate with me on this, I'll hand in my resignation. I don't need them as much as they need me." She was surprised at the vehemence of her statement and was startled to realize it was true.
"Don't quit your job over me, Mara."

"Nothing like that. Only now did it occur to me that I have leverage. It's a nice feeling. I could turn my back on that place in a heartbeat and find another job at a better firm by next week." Her laugh surprised them both. "A week ago I'd never have said that," she told him. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Making me find my confidence."

"You're the most confident woman I know," he told her honestly. "If you ever want a job as a consultant, let me know. I'll hook you up."

She could picture his grin, eyes twinkling. "I'll keep that in mind." She hesitated, unsure what else she wanted to say. "Cole?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...