Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 20


"Tell me about the man." She sat heavily on the bed.

"What makes you think there's a man?"

"Because only a man would keep you out all night."

Blushing, Mara flopped on the bed next to her sister-in-law. Olivia was somewhat younger than Toby and not quite a year older than Mara. They had been close friends in school. Toby had pursued Olivia since the time he hit puberty. It took him a few years, but he finally got her to marry him.

"He's so wonderful!"

"Name?"

"Cole Bayard."

"Occupation?"

"Which one? He does lots of things."

"Pick one."

"He's a consultant."

"What does he consult on?"

"Right now he's working with a team who are making a rock video."

"Ooh, cool! So, is he good in bed?"

"Olivia! I don't ask you that."

"That's cause I'm in bed with your brother. It's better not to discuss it. This guy's no kin to me, I can ask all I want."

Mara sighed happily. "He's absolutely fantastic!"

"Makes your toes tingle?"

"Makes everything tingle. Toes, scalp, eyebrows...name a part, it tingles!"

"You had Toby worried absolutely sick, Mara. I wasn't going to say anything, I know he did already. But he was up all night pacing and throwing up."

"Livi, I'm so sorry...."

"Tell your brother that."

"I did. I just wasn't thinking...."

"I know. I admit, Toby's had that effect on me more than once. Can't think about anything else! And it wouldn't have mattered, except...."

"Except Mom got sick."

"We're leaving for the hospital in a couple hours. You lie down for a little while. I'll call you in time to get ready. You want a shower?"

"I'll take it before I lie down." She hugged her sister-in-law and helped her get up from the bed.

Olivia waddled toward the door, holding her back. "Never doing this again!"

Mara woke to Olivia's gentle tap on her door. She cracked the door slightly, leaning in. "You up, honey?"

"Thanks, Livi. I'm up. I'll be right down, I just need to brush my teeth."

"We're leaving in about twenty minutes, take your time."

Mara took the time to put on a little makeup. After crying the entire plane trip home, she looked dreadful. Her face was puffy after her sleep. She tried to cover up the worst damage, but thought she hadn't done a very convincing job. Ten minutes later she was downstairs helping Toby look for his car keys.

"Did you check your desk?" Olivia asked him.

"Yes."

"Coat pocket?"

"Yes."

"Kitchen table?"

"Yes!"

Mara jingled the keys by his ear. "Trunk of the car?"

Toby snatched his keys away from her, sticking out his tongue. "I was gonna look there, gosh! Lucky!"

"Olivia, you've got to keep him from watching Napoleon Dynamite so much."

"Don't I know it! He about drives me crazy with that stuff! Do you know he actually suggested we name the baby Tina?"

"After the llama?"

"I just like the name, gosh!"

"Shut up," both women said in unison.

"Let's go, ladies!"

"I have to pee first," Olivia said as she walked slowly to the downstairs bathroom.

"Honey, you went ten minutes ago."

"And I'll go again in another ten minutes. You try having eight pounds of baby on your bladder, see how well you manage!"

"We'll hit traffic." He glanced at his watch.

"Toby," Mara put her hand gently over his watch. "It's just traffic. A few minutes extra won't matter."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books https://www.amazon.com/Dellani-Oakes/e/B007ZQCW3A/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...