Thursday, July 14, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 39


Avery met Colby at the door wearing a butcher's apron and high heels. He wanted to make love in the kitchen, but she dragged him to the bedroom instead. He was almost running late by the time they had a quick shower. He took his lunch to go, eating in the car on the way back to work. He arrived as Jonas was coming back.

"I either have to move closer, or you need to give me a ninety minute lunch," Colby said, chuckling as he walked in the office.

"You cocky bastard," Jonas said with a chuckle. "Oh, to be young and in love."

"You're only ten years older, and you have a beautiful wife. I have, on more than one occasion, envied the hell out of you."

"No kidding? She is pretty awesome. Maybe I'll go home for lunch tomorrow, instead of going to a crowded restaurant."

"Totally worth it," Colby said, smirking as he walked back to his office.

The rest of the week went well. Colby got settled in and set up training for Xuan. Things were going well between her and Gavin, which pleased his friends. In fact, they planned a cookout at Colby and Avery's apartment. He got home as early as he could, in order to help her finish cleaning up. She had made the burgers for them to cook and Alice was bringing her potato salad. Gavin was making his world famous baked beans, which was the only dish he could make without intervention. Stan had the IBC covered and Xuan had promised dessert.

At five minutes until seven, Stan knocked on the door. Colby answered and Avery called from the kitchen. Alice joined her. Stan followed with the root beer.

"So, what do we think of Xuan?" Stan asked.

"I haven't met her yet," Avery admitted. "Only Colby—and Gavin, obviously. She sounds really nice, though."

"Smarter than me," Colby said with a grin. "I'd say that she is easily as smart as Gavin."

"No way. Can she tie her own shoes?"

"I don't know, she wears heels to work," Colby replied with a smart assed smile.

"I spoke to her on the phone once," Alice said. "I had to call Gavin about his order at the shop, and she answered. She has a gorgeous voice."

There was much speculation for a couple minutes, which stopped when Gavin and Xuan arrived. She was introduced all around and Gavin looked on happily as his friends met, and approved of, his girlfriend—an announcement he made nearly as soon as they walked in the door.

"That's so great!" Avery said, hugging him. "Our little Gavin, all grown up."

The men glared at her.

"I'm so sorry. I'm not supposed to say things like that around other women. It makes them appear less masculine and mature," she explained in a smarmy tone as she hung up Xuan's coat. "I apologize, gentlemen. Actually, I don't," she said to Alice and Xuan as the men walked off.

"Heard that," Colby called over his shoulder.

"Heard what, sweetheart?" she called in a singsong voice after him.

Xuan listened to the exchange and started laughing. "I love you guys already." She had brought a huge platter of homemade cookies for dessert. "I've been making these for two days. I didn't know exactly what you'd all like. And Gavin, bless him, had no clue. But everyone likes cookies."

"This crowd will devour them," Avery assured her. "I always make them cookies for Christmas. Limited budget, so I cook. Each of them has a favorite and he gets two dozen in a collectible tin. Which I collect afterward, and reuse the next year."

"How fun!" Xuan said.

"What is Stans' favorite?" Alice asked, as if it were the most important thing in the world.

"Cream cheese cookies, only I roll them in chopped nuts before I bake them. Then I add the jelly after. Gavin's favorite—peanut butter chocolate chip. And Colby loves these spicy cookies my grandmother used to make. She called them pecan crisps."

"Those sound good," Xuan said as they walked into the living room. "Anything with nuts."

Three male heads popped up, eyes wide and alert.

"Wouldn't you know," Avery said. "You say nuts, and they suddenly pay attention."

"At least we know how to get their attention when it's time for dinner," Alice said, giggling.

"I wonder what they'd do if we said boobs," Xuan said, casually tossing it out there.

"Watch it. They have a Pavlovian response to that," Avery replied. "If you say it too much, they start to salivate. Gets really messy."

Colby embraced her, nuzzling her neck. "You love my Pavlovian response to that," he murmured.

Avery blushed, giving him a knuckle to the belly. "Company manners, Mr. Thatcher."

"Yes, ma'am. Can I get anyone anything? Guys, beer? Xuan?"

"I don't drink," she said quietly.

"Neither do we," Alice assured her. "Beer, in this house, is IBC."

"Oh, love one! I never developed a taste for alcohol."

"I like wine once in awhile," Alice said. "But I can keep a bottle in the fridge for months before I drink it all."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...