Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 40


"My folks were both alcoholics," Avery confided. "I don't want to end up like them."

"I totally understand," Xuan assured her. "I think that's really admirable. It's important to have strong convictions."

They had a wonderful dinner. Afterward, they played Cards Against Humanity and this time, Gavin was the definitive winner. Around midnight, they all cleaned up and the guests went home. Avery was nearly bursting with pride and excitement.

"Our first three couple party! That was so much fun. I love Xuan! I hope Gavin doesn't mess it up."

"He's going to make mistakes, we all do. But I really like Xuan, and I think she's good for him."

"He didn't seem quite so flaky. I was really proud of him. And you, Mr. Thatcher!" She kissed him. "Oooh, Mr. Thather, is that for me?" she rubbed against him.

"Why yes, Miss Justice, if you like."

"I like...."

Colby woke the next morning feeling better than he could remember. Today, they were looking at the new apartments. Jonas had already spoken to the manager and was going to meet them at 11:00 to look at them. He and Avery got ready, dressing like they were going to church. She actually wore a dress and put up her hair. Colby didn't own a suit, but he had nice slacks and a sports coat, which he paired with a V neck sweater. Avery proclaimed him hot and sexy.

"And you're beautiful. Miss Conservative. Wow." He spun her under his arm.

They arrived at the apartment complex and went to Jonas's first. It was a lavish three bedroom. The one they were seeing was a spacious one bedroom, or there were a couple moderately sized two bedroom ones. These were a little out of their price range, but with them both getting pay bumps, they could just about afford it. They were more interested in the one bedroom, simply because they wanted to save the extra money to put aside.

Jonas's wife, Cecile, opened the door and gave them both a big hug. She was very pregnant and didn't feel like doing a lot of walking, so they drove over to the new apartments. She and Avery walked around, admiring the kitchen and discussing closet space.

"This has closets bigger than my bathroom," Avery said. "I love this place already."

"This is really nice," Cecile said. "I don't much like the furniture. At least it's not staying."

"My furniture isn't this nice, but I agree. It's a little flashy."

The couch was a garish flower pattern that was an eye watering combination of turquoise, chartreuse and coral. It was quite ugly, but comfortable. Cecile and Avery sat down, talking, waiting for the men. Feeling she needed to speed them along, because they seemed as if they were going to talk all day, Avery walked over, taking Colby's arm.

"I like the place a lot, Colby. What do you think?"

"I think it's great. Do you know they have two pools and two gyms?"

"That's great! Not the time of year for a pool, though."

"One is indoors, so we could swim any time."

"No kidding?" She perked up. "That's so cool. Colby went to college with a swimming scholarship," she told the manager.

"Really? My son's a swimmer. He's seven. Hoping he can compete some when he gets older. Do you ever give lessons?"

"I hadn't thought about it, to be honest."

"He was captain of the men's team in high school and college," Avery bragged. "And he was assistant coach for his old high school for two years after college."

"No kidding?" The manager leaned over, speaking quietly. "I can get you into a two bedroom for the price of this one, if you'll give my kid private lessons."

Colby's eyes widened. "You can do that?"

"I'm part owner, as well as manager. Yes, I can do that. I'd be paying someone anyway, around the same price."

"That's a hundred dollars a month more."

"And my kid's future is worth a hundred a month. What do you say?"

"I say, yes!"

"Excellent! Let's have a look at the bigger place and talk turkey."

They made the trek to the larger apartment, which was closer to the pool and the gym. Avery went nuts over the kitchen. It had been done with new granite counter tops and sleek cabinets. It had a butcher's block with a dry sink and a built in trash bin. The appliances were all new and, though not high end, certainly better than what she currently had. She and Colby sat down with the manager and worked out details. Jonas took Cecile home, but they were told to go over as soon as they were done, for a late lunch.

Happy and excited to move, they met with Jonas and Cecile for a delicious meal with lots of fruit and fresh salads.

"I've been craving watermelon," Cecile griped. "Do you know how hard it is to find a watermelon this far north at this time of year?"

"I had to get her watermelon ices instead," Jonas added. "It wasn't ideal, but it was made with real juice."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...