Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 36


They piled in their cars and headed to the nearest family restaurant. The children had a great time playing in the game room with Colby and Avery until their food arrived.

"Your son is really good with kids," Tamika said, smiling at Colby as he sat on the floor and played with her youngest child.

"He'll make a good father one day. His own had his moments when he was really special. Other times.... Not so much. But my boys all rose above that, and became men I'm very proud of."

"You did a good job," Buck said. "I hope that I'm able to do as well with ours."

"They have a fine example to follow," Adele said, patting his hand. "Thank you again. There aren't words or actions emphatic enough to express how I feel."

"The fact we all walked away from it unharmed is the best," Tamika said. "Too often, we'd end a mission with friends who weren't ever coming back. Everybody lived," she said with a happy sigh.

After dinner, Buck's family went home and Adele joined Colby and Avery at her apartment for coffee. He made sure to call Jonas and let him know all was well, because he knew his boss would worry.

"I'm just glad you're okay, kid. Can't have my new head of IT in trouble!"

"Thanks, Jonas. See you in the morning."

"Good night!"

"So, engaged?" Adele said with a smile.

"Who told you that?" Avery asked.

"You and Detective Tan mentioned it. Something about what you said to the SWAT guy?"

"Oh, I exaggerated somewhat, but I wanted to be emphatic. We've talked about it, sometime in the near future."

"Super! I want at least three grandchildren. His brothers have failed to properly procreate. You have to take up the slack."

Avery giggled as Colby's face went white, then red, and his jaw dropped open. "You'll catch flies with that," she teased, tapping his mouth shut.

"Mom, we just started dating."

"But you're already living together, and I know you aren't sleeping on the couch."

Colby blushed an even deeper red.

"I'm happy for you, darling. It's taken you both a long time to get here, but now you're together and I'm delighted. I couldn't have chosen a better girl for you than Avery."

"Am I the only one who was completely oblivious?" Colby asked sadly. "I feel like such an idiot."

"Not an idiot," Avery said, patting his hand. "But oblivious—yes. But then again, I didn't come right out and say how I felt, either. And I have to remember that you, Stan and Gavin all suffer from FTPA."

Colby chuckled, twining his fingers with hers. "Yeah, we do."

"But I don't," Adele said, standing abruptly. "Time to go. It's getting dark and I'm tired. Goodnight, children." She gave hugs and kisses before allowing Colby to walk her to her car.

"Will she be okay?" Avery asked him when he got back. "That had to be scary for her."

"I asked her if she wanted to stay, or have me come over for the night. But my older brother, Clancy, is coming in tonight. She won't be alone."

"You know for a fact?"

"I made her call him before I let her go home. He's due in about nine." It was just after eight thirty.

"Good. Does he know about all this?"

"Mom told him."

"Whew. Long day!"

He pulled her close, kissing her. "Not too long, I hope."

"Nope. I could use some cramp relief. That really did help. I've hardly had a twinge all day. But now that the excitement is over, I'm starting to hurt."

"Go start the shower. I'll make sure the place is locked up tight."

"I love having you here," Avery said. "And I love you, Colby. So much."

"I love you and I love being here. Go start the water. I'll be right there."

She went to the bathroom and Colby checked doors and windows he knew were already locked. Stopping at the front door, he sighed. Avery had a cross on the wall, a gift from her religious foster parents. He put his hand on it, closing his eyes.

"Thank you," he whispered. "Thank you for protecting us. Thank you for Buck and Tamika and Detective Tan...." Swallowing hard, he went to the bathroom and shucked his clothing, dropping it in the hamper, before joining Avery in the shower. "I hear someone needs some lovin'," he growled as he got in.

They enjoyed their shower, glad that Avery's complex had a boiler system so that the water stayed hot the entire time. Happy and relaxed, they crawled into bed and cuddled up against the chill.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...