Thursday, December 15, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 35

"They can do it without me."


"How about you and I take Charlotte's car back to the house. That will give them time to talk, and you don't have to be part of it."

"Good idea," Jason replied. "Blythe, is that okay?"

"Yeah."

Elam grabbed his keys. Giving a quick kiss to Blythe, he waited at the door while Lori kissed Jason goodbye, then the two of them left.

"Thank you," Elam said, leaning his shoulders on the wall. "I couldn't listen. I see people sick, dead, or dying every day. I couldn't handle that."

"She already told me about it," Lori said with a shudder. "I don't have it in me to listen to it again. Jason wants to know it all, chapter and verse, and I'd rather not know. He's dead, we're not." She shook her head. "People might think I'm callous for that attitude."

"Not me. I get it." Elam pressed the button for the elevator.

"You're a good man, Elam. I like you, and I think you'll be good for Blythe. She needs a strong man who won't mind the crazy."

Elam chuckled, allowing her to enter the elevator first. "Is there a lot of crazy around? Other than this, I mean." He spun his finger in the air, encompassing everything.

"A little. Jason has this spooky way of knowing things before they happen. Blythe has had dreams that came true. Nothing else is as freaky as what's happening now, though she did have a lot of trouble with nightmares as a kid."

"Really? Did she outgrow them?"

"I'm not sure. I intend to find out. Maybe it's something that will work again. I just know that these dreams are getting worse. Pretty soon, she's not going to be sleeping at all."

"I'm staying tonight. When we drop Charlotte's car, we can grab her stuff, then we'll stop by my place and I'll pack an overnight bag."

"Pack for a couple nights at least. Please? I don't like the idea of her being alone. She's so independent, she won't let her mother fuss over her forever."

"Of course. I'm here for the long run, Lori. If I were going to bail, I'd have done it by now."

Lori laid her fingers on his arm. "Thank you. You're a good man, Elam."

"I try."

"I expect something from you—other than guard duty." Lori slid into the car.

Elam waited until she was settled before closing the door. "Oh? What's that?"

"When you make love to her, take your time, and do it well. She hasn't had a man since Alec."

"I'll do my best, I promise."

"Good."

He followed Lori to the Donovan's house. They bid a short good night, with Elam assuring Charlotte and Don that he wasn't leaving Blythe alone. A short conversation later, Elam and Lori headed for his apartment. She came up and talked to him while he packed an overnight bag.

"Don't forget condoms," Lori prompted as he packed his razor.

"Um—didn't plan on needing any."

"Don't be insipid. There's always a chance."

Elam blushed, his ears and cheeks going red. "I'm not planning to take advantage of the situation, Lori."

"And if things transpire the way you hope, you don't want her to think it was premeditated. Gotcha. Girlfriend's probably got some, anyhow."

Elam wouldn't look at her as he finished packing.

"I embarrassed you. I'm sorry."

"I'm not like that, Lori. I like her a lot and yeah, I'd love to get lucky."

"Good to know you're not a player." She smiled kindly, handing him his toothpaste.

"Since I was sixteen, I've had six serious girlfriends. I'm the opposite of a player."

"And that's one reason you're so adorable. Ready?"

"Yeah." He zipped up the overnight bag and picked up his garment bag.

Blythe and Jason sat on the couch in her living room. He held her hands as she described her dream of Alec's death.

"But you didn't feel anything, right?"

"No."

"Thank God. I can't even imagine. What a horrible way to die."

"War is horrible."

Jason nodded, trying to gather his thoughts. "I'm sorry about how I've been—with you dating other guys. I know you need to move on. And Elam, he's a great guy. He'll be good for you."

"Not like we're getting married or anything."

"Maybe. Who can say. But the important thing is to leave yourself open to the possibilities."

"What was the real reason you and Lori didn't tell us about being together? Didn't you think we'd be happy for you?"

"It wasn't our family that was the problem. Her dad—hates me. I mean, he loathes the very ground I walk on."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...