Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 34


The voices faded into nothing. Blythe's eyes flew open. She raised her chin, screaming her sorrow and anger. It wasn't enough to be a part of Malachi's accident, she had now witnessed Alec's death—experienced it first hand.

"What do you want from me?" she cried, pounding her fists on the floor. "What do you want?"

Someone knocked loudly on her door. The echo of it finally reached her ears.

"Blythe? Blythe!" It was Lori.

A key rattled in the lock as her best friend let herself into the apartment. Blythe stumbled to the door of her office, sobbing so hard, it hurt.

"Oh, honey! What's wrong? Was it another dream?" She led Blythe to the nearby guest room, making her sit on the bed. "Deep breaths. Talk to me."

Blythe told Lori what she'd experienced. She kept interrupting herself with sobs and gulps, but the full story eventually emerged.

"That's it. I'm calling your mom. You aren't to be on your own until this is resolved."

"No! Call Elam. Please? Don't call Mom. She'll treat me like a baby, and I can't handle that."

"You're sure?"

Blythe nodded.

"Okay, but I'm calling Jason, too."

Blythe sighed, unable to argue. She had no energy left in her. She heard Lori make the calls, glad that she called Elam first. That accomplished, Lori made a pot of coffee. They each sipped a mug while they waited for the men.

Jason and Elam arrived within seconds of one another. Jason reached the gate first and Elam followed him in. Parking in guest spaces, they raced to the elevator, taking it to the eighth floor apartment. Neither of them spoke, too absorbed in their own worries. Jason produced a key, letting them in. Lori greeted them at the door. Blythe sat on the couch, wrapped in a soft blanket.

Elam didn't even stop to speak to Lori. He dashed across the room, taking Blythe in his arms. "Are you all right? Are you hurt? Did you feel any pain?"

"I'm okay. No, it didn't hurt. I'm fine, I promise. Just—shaken."

"No doubt! Oh, babe, I wish I'd been here. I'm so sorry you went through that alone." He held her as if she would break, practiced hands checking her for injuries.

Blythe grabbed his hands, holding them in hers. "I'm okay, now that you're here. It was horrible," she whispered. "But I'm glad I know what happened. He died trying to save his friend."

"Alec was a good man," Elam said. "Every time he saved another person, he was a hero."

She nodded, bringing his hands to her face. Kissing his fingers, she gazed into his eyes. "You are, too," she whispered. "In every way, as much a hero as he was."

"You shouldn't be alone," Elam cautioned. "Can I take you to your mom's?"

"No. I want to stay here. Her car—she needs her car back."

"I'll take it," Lori volunteered. "I can leave my car here for you. Jason can drive me home."

"Thank you. You're all so good to me."

"If you won't go to your mother's, I'm staying," Elam declared. "I'm not letting you stay alone."

"I can't. I need to be here."

"Should we all stay?" Jason asked, clearly worried about his sister.

"Elam's got it," Lori said. "I'm going to order a pizza or something. Honey?"

She nodded for Jason to follow her. He did so reluctantly, with many backward glances at his sister and Elam.

"He's got it," Lori murmured. "Give them some space."

"But she's.... She just—"

Lori took his hands, stopping the jumble of words. "I know. He's got it."

Jason kissed her deeply, holding her close. Resting his forehead on hers, Jason whispered. "Is it horrible of me to want to know exactly what happened?"

"Give her some time to assimilate it. Don't ask her now, but listen if she volunteers it."

Jason sighed, holding her even closer. The pressure of her body against his was comforting. He could feel Lori's heartbeat against his chest. Her warmth, her scent, were comforting.

"Let's get some food," Lori, ever practical, decided. "We all need to eat."

She placed a call to Dominos, ordering two large pizzas and a bottle of root beer for delivery. Not wanting to interrupt whatever might be happening in the living room, Lori made Jason hang out in the kitchen until the pizza came. He paid for it while she gathered plates, napkins and glasses.

Elam and Blythe joined them. They had obviously been kissing. Blythe's hair was a mess, her lip gloss a smeared disaster, and their lips were puffy. Jason and Lori, who had spent a good deal of their time similarly engaged, didn't comment.

Lori purposely steered conversation away from the accident, dreams, and talk of Alec's death. She kept all talk light and non-stressful. Elam clearly appreciated it, but she suspected Blythe was annoyed with her. That was a huge difference between the two friends. Blythe liked to talk herself silly, examining every aspect of a situation, putting it all under a microscope. Lori liked to shove things aside, and think about them on her own. She went over things in her mind, reflecting and reviewing, before making a decision. Blythe liked to bounce ideas around, talking a subject into the dirt, asking everyone to help her make her decisions.

"Don't you think we should talk about this?" Blythe asked finally.

"No," Lori said. "I know you're all about dialogue, but I don't want to know gory details."

"I do," Jason said. "I want to know. I'm sorry," he told Lori. "It's important for me to know."

"I don't want to hear it," Lori argued. "I don't think it's healthy to dwell on it."

"If it helps them process," Elam interjected. "We should let them."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...