Thursday, June 08, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 27

    


"I know how you feel. I've broken a few bones myself. And gotten into some scuffles. This was a parishioner?"

"Yeah. Edward Lancaster."

"He gave Father Faraday hell, too. I hope they locked the jackass up."

"They did. How long he stays, who can say? He's rich and connected. I suppose I've lost my best parishioner. He'll pull his money, and move it to St. Blase, now."

"Probably, but you can't let that upset you. Others will step up to fill the gap. Oh, hey. Did Toomy ever call you?"

"No. I haven't seen him. Thanks for calling the boys, though."

"I didn't. Your mother must have."

"Uncle Toomy did," Eagle said. He had four bowls of soup on a tray. He served these with spoons and napkins.

"That was quick. Mom's chicken soup usually takes all day."

"I made it yesterday, and heated it up. I made some bread, too. We forgot the bread." She turned to go back.

"I'll get it," Eagle said, trotting to the kitchen.

They said blessing and started eating. Obi closed his eyes, enjoying the savory flavor on his tongue.

"Your soup is always so good, Mom. Thank you."

"So, you did need soup," she winked at him.

"Apparently, I did."

"The bread is a new recipe. I'm anxious to see how you like it."

Each of them took a hunk of bread. Eating it in very small bites, Obi was pleased to find that it didn't hurt his throat going down. It was good, but didn't taste quite like the yeast bread she usually made. He said something about it.

"That's because it's gluten free. Your father's arthritis doctor advised him to cut out wheat. Most gluten free bread tastes, and feels like, glue. I found this recipe, and fiddled with it until I got what I wanted."

"It's really good," Obi said, nodding. "I need the recipe, please."

"I put it on the fridge with a magnet. It's a little fiddly, but I'll help you with your first batch."

"That's great, Mom. Thank you. You're the best mom ever."

Hester Randolph sniffled, dabbing her nose with her napkin. The men heard her, and froze. Her husband took her bowl, gently dabbing her eyes and cheeks with his napkin.

"Now then, Hessie. What's wrong?"

She gestured at Obi.

"Darling, he's fine. A little bruised."

"But it could have been so much worse!"

"Could have been," Prescott reminded her. "Wasn't."

"Thanks to Eagle," Obi said softly. "Baby brother saved the day. For which I'm very grateful. Sarah and her father took good care of me, as has Wynter."

"When do we get to meet your lovely lady friend?" Hester asked, forcing a smile.

"Tonight," Eagle replied. "She, her sister, and Sarah are making dinner for us. We decided last night, after you conked out," he told his brother.

"I was gonna say, first I'd heard of it. You'll like all three women," Obi assured his parents. "Sarah is a real treasure. Frankie's a trip and Wynter...." his voice caressed her name tenderly. "She's the most interesting woman I ever met."

"Really? Do tell!" their mother said with a grin.

"It's not like that, Mom. We're friends."

"So were Daddy and I, until we discovered we were more than that. Marrying your best friend, well, it's the most wonderful thing ever."

Prescott took Hester's hand, kissing it.

Eagle's phone rang. He glanced at the screen, standing. "Excuse me. This is Sarah." He headed to the back of the house, talking animatedly.

"This woman seems to be good for him," Prescott said.

"She's pretty great," Obi admitted. "I wasn't wild about her, until I found out she's not an airhead. I think she uses that as a defense mechanism. Lots of men don't like smart, strong women. Once she dropped that mask, I liked her a lot."

"Not that many men like airheads, either," Hester stated, her mouth firm.

"Beg to differ, Mom. Maybe back in your youth, but now? Men are superficial idiots."

"Not my boys," she said, picking up the dirty dishes.

"No, ma'am, or we'd be licking our wounds."

His mother swatted playfully at him, managing not to touch him. Laughing, he ducked, putting his arms up in front of his face. Giggling, she gathered the rest of the dishes, kissed him on top of the head, and followed Eagle to the kitchen.

"How are you, really? And I don't mean the obvious way," Prescott said quietly.

Obi knew that his father referred to his break up with Cieran. "It was awful when it happened, but Wynter has helped more than she'll ever know. I could fall in love with this woman, Dad. She's simply amazing."

"I'm glad to hear that. It sounds as if you met at just the right time."

"We did. If we hadn't gone through what we did, we probably wouldn't see the value of each other. Her ex is as horrible as Cieran is."

"This mighty paragon have a name?"

"Bardo."

"Not McHenry!" Hester said from the doorway. She held an insulated pot of coffee and mugs on a tray.

"I don't know his last name, just that he's the choreographer for the dance company she was in."

"That's McHenry," Hester said with a sniff. "I know all about that one."

"How can you possibly?"

"He did an interview a year or so ago. I caught it on Good Morning America. So full of himself. He had the host so frothed up, she could hardly concentrate."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...