Thursday, June 29, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 33


Prescott got it for her, carrying it to the kitchen.

"Mom, I know you'd like grandchildren. I want kids. But I have to find a willing woman first."

"You've got a wonderful woman."

"She's not mine, Mother. We're good friends, not dating."

"You'd be very good together."

"I think so, too. But she's come out of a horrible relationship, after years of abuse. I'm not going to push."

"You could push a little, Obadiah. A woman likes to know she's desired."

"Thank you." He took her hand, kissing it. "I promise, I will do that. Honestly, I look at the rest of my life, and I see her in it." The tears started again.

"She needs a good man."

"And I need a good woman. I knew Cieran wasn't the one for me, but you get lonely enough—"

"I understand, darling. But at the rate you're going, your youngest brother will be a father before you."

He laughed, nodding. "Yeah. Could very well be. More power to him."

The door opened, thumping the wall.

"Hiya!" Clive called out.

"Hi there!" Obi replied. "Living room."

His brother bustled in, his arms full of bags. Prescott came out to meet him, taking a few.

"What on earth are you doing?" Hester asked.

"Groceries. The girls made me," he said with a chuckle. "They're outside, getting more stuff."

Prescott trotted out to the car. Clive put his bags in the kitchen and followed. The women came in with more bags. When Clive and their father came in, they shut the door.

"Where's Eric?" Hester asked.

"On his way. I sent him on an errand," Sarah said.

The door opened again, and Eagle came in, carrying another bag. This one was heavy.

"I was sent to obtain libations," he said with a chuckle.

"What on earth? I've got wine," Obi said.

"Not like this," Eagle replied. "Come see." He carried the bag to the kitchen. Setting it on the table, he lifted out several bottles. "There's a local winery, just outside town. It's got the most amazing snow wine ever. It just came up for sale. I've been waiting five years for this!" He held out a bottle for his brother to see.

"This is their first batch of snow wine," Sarah said. "I know the vintner, he's a patient. He saved these back for us, at my request."

"I've seen signs for this place. Do they do tours?"

"They do. We should all go, while Mom and Dad are here," Eagle said.

"I'd like that, when I'm not a gimp."

"It's a date."

"Hey, Mom is getting out of the hospital tomorrow," Wynter said.

"That's great news. Are they doing out-patient for her treatments?"

"We hope so. The first one made her so weak and sick, I just don't know."

"We'll pray about it before starting dinner," Obi said. "Let's get the groceries up, and do that."

"Thank you." Smiling a little, she gave him a soft kiss on the lips and a gentle hug.

"You're welcome."

Wynter started unpacking groceries. Obi tried to help, but was summarily thrown out of his kitchen. However, when they were done, they stood in a circle in the dining room, holding hands. Bowing their heads, they waited.

"Dear Father," Obi said. "We have faith in your love, and thank you for your blessings. Please, take care of Wanda. Bring her back to health, and help her cope with the medications she's given. Heal her body and her soul, Lord. In the name of Jesus, your son, we pray. Amen."

They all said a resounding Amen. Squeezing hands, they raised their heads smiling at one another.

Wynter, who was standing next to Obi, gave him another kiss. This one wasn't just a friendly one. In fact, it went on for quite some time, taking on a life of its own. Neither of them noticed that the others had quietly gone back to the kitchen.

Obi held her a long time, enjoying the taste of her lips, and the touch of her body. The raw, emotional pain and doubt he'd been feeling, ebbed away, like waves at the beach.

"I've wanted to do that since we met," he whispered.

"Me, too. You've been so kind, so loving. I couldn't have gotten through this without you."

He wanted to say he loved her, but that was simply ridiculous. They hardly knew one another, though it felt as if he'd known her his entire life. A wisp of hair had fallen from her ponytail. Lifting it softly, he brushed it behind her ear. His lips found hers once more.

The kitchen door popped open. Someone cleared his throat. They looked over to see Eagle. He looked rather sheepish, hands in his pockets, shoulders hunched.

"So incredibly sorry to bother you, but I can't find your cork screw. I looked everywhere."

"Was it Eagle Looking, or Mom Looking?"

"She helped me. Do you still have one?"

"Yeah! Hang on." He gave Wynter another short kiss before heading to the kitchen.

"I wouldn't have bothered you, but Mom...."

"No worries."

Obi looked in the drawer where the corkscrew should be. It wasn't there. It wasn't any of the weird places someone else might have put it. In fact, he couldn't find it anywhere.

"That's plain weird. Didn't we have it the other night?" he asked Wynter.

"I don't remember. Maybe the other wine was screw top?"

"We need a corkscrew," Clive said. "I'll go get one. Anything else we need while I'm out?"

"Can't think of anything," Obi said.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...