Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 34

      


"Frankie, wanna go?"

"Yeah. Thanks!"

"Back in a few."

They were off in a flash, holding hands.

"If my younger brother gets lucky before I do, I might have to hurt him," Obi grumbled.

Everyone chuckled and he realized he'd said that out loud. Rather than being embarrassed, he laughed it off.

"I'd blame the drugs, but I haven't had a pill." Shrugging the uninjured shoulder, he cracked a grin.

Wynter giggled, touching his cheek. "You turn a lovely shade of pink, when you're embarrassed."

"Good. Shows I have excellent blood flow. Did you find out why Bardo came?" he asked, to take the heat off himself.

"I had a long chat with Officer Avery. From what they can determine, he came to talk to you."

"Me? Why? How does he even know my name? Let alone where I live?"

"Apparently, he put an illegal tracker on my phone."

"He—what? Who does that?"

"A seriously unbalanced person," his mother said.

"That's a polite way of saying he's freaking crackers," Eagle said.

"Which is a nice way of saying he's out of his f-ing mind," Wynter corrected. "I thought he was just enthusiastic and artistic. He swept me off my feet, made me his star—after we moved in together, things started to change. He was cruel, controlling—he even told me what I could or couldn't eat. I nearly developed a serious eating disorder, until friends, and Frankie, stepped in. She convinced me to leave him. I was having trouble finding a good way to cover my tracks. I finally decided to come visit Mom, and work things out. Then—all this!" Flinging up her arms, she burst into tears.

Obi was at her side immediately, pulling her close with his right arm. His father slipped the sling off as he held Wynter, so he could put both arms around her. The family quietly left them, holding one another, as she wept.

"He was spying on me! Listening to conversations! He could even see my contacts list on my phone! That's how he found out your name. And he tracked me here. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She clung to him, her face buried in his chest, gripping the front of his shirt.

"You didn't do this," Obi said, taking her hands gently in his. "You're not to blame. Despite what he might like to lay at your feet, you aren't guilty of anything more than bad judgment. After Cieran, I have to own my decision for getting involved. I can't blame it all on her, but I sure don't blame it all on myself, either. That's him, warping you. He's the guilty one, not you. Don't let him win, Wynter. You're too strong a woman for that."

"I don't feel strong. I feel helpless and weak."

"You're neither of those things, my beautiful Wynter. You're the strongest, bravest woman I've ever met. You're intrepid, adventurous—and I could fall in love so easily. Just give me a couple more minutes...." he whispered.

Taking her face in his hands, he kissed her. With a gasp of surprise, and joy, she opened her mouth. His tongue swept between her lips, deepening the kiss. Wynter clutched at him, pulling him closer. For a time, they forgot there were others in the house. Together, they drifted into their own little world of newly born love.

Obi had never felt anything so powerful. It was as if his heart had been bound, and that the restraints burst open, setting him free. He couldn't get enough of holding her, kissing her. She seemed to feel the same, because she clung to him as if her life depended on it.

The doorbell rang, and they both became aware of how rugged they looked. Laughing, they went to the nearest bathroom to wash their faces and comb their hair. Someone else answered the door, because they heard voices in the foyer.

Hand in hand, they walked out to see that a young woman stood there, a suitcase beside her on the floor. Prescott was closing the door behind her. A cab pulled away from the curb. Wynter let out a squeal like a tea kettle. Dashing toward the woman, she held her arms wide.

"Emily!" she squeaked. "It's so good to see you!"

The sisters embraced, crying happily.

"I've missed you so much," Emily said, holding her eldest sister close. "I didn't realize how much, until Mom called, and asked me to come."

Wynter took a step away. "When did she do that?"

"The day after you got here. It took a while to arrange days off, and stuff. Are you okay?" She held her sister's face, gazing deeply into her eyes. “Frankie told me you'd be here, so I came right from the airport.”

Emily was an interesting cross between Frankie and Wynter in looks. Her hair was medium brown, her eyes a soft greenish-hazel. The smiles were identical, though. All three girls favored their mother.

"I'm great," Wynter said, hugging her little sister. "I'm glad you're here. Mom will be excited to see you." They hugged again. "Let me introduce you to some people.

Starting with Prescott and Hester, she introduced Eagle and Sarah next. Finally, taking Obi's hand, she proudly introduced him to her sister.

"You're the priest, huh?" She shook his hand, eyes twinkling.

"Yes. Anglican, not Catholic."

"I figured that out," she replied with a wink. "Sure did."

"Why didn't you call?" Wynter asked, hugging her again.

"I called Frankie. I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Well, it sure is!"

"Come on in," Hester invited. "Do you need to freshen up?"

"I could sure use a bathroom! It was a crazy long drive from the airport. Is there always this much traffic?"

Obi checked his watch. "You're at the end of the lunch rush. How long did it take?"

"Just over an hour!"

"You were lucky, and your cabby broke a few traffic laws," Eagle said with a smirk.

"You mean that's a good time? Oy vay!" Laughing, she followed Hester to the bathroom under the stairs.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...