Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 32


She filled Styrofoam travel cup with coffee. Thanking her, he took his leave. A few minutes after he went outside, a police cruiser pulled up.

"Why would Wynter's ex be on my porch?"

"I wonder what he's doing in town?" his father asked.

"Maybe he followed her? He had to know her mom lives here. But my house? That's weird. And kinda creepy. I need to call her."

"No. Eagle's taking her to see her mother. Call him," his father said.

"Yes, sir." He called his brother.

"Hey, big bro, sup?"

Obi explained. Eagle got quiet.

"Hello? Is Wynter there?"

"Yeah. Okay. I'll tell her."

"I want to tell her myself."

"I'm capable—"

"She'll want to speak to me, to make sure I'm all right."

"Sure. Of course. One second." The phone exchanged hands.

"Hi, how are you feeling?" Her voice sparkled, there was no other word for it.

Obi felt terrible, knowing he was going to tarnish that shininess. "I'm feeling fine. But I had a visitor. It was Bardo."

"What?" she gasped. "Are you all right?"

"Yes. I'm fine. He didn't attack me, but he arrived on my porch. He knew my name! Where I live. What the hell?"

"Oh, my God," she whispered. "But you're all right?"

"I'm all right. The police arrived quickly. He's in jail."

"I need to talk to him."

"Why would you want to?"

"Because, he might not tell the police why he's here, but he'll tell me!"

"Wynter...."

"I need Avery's number."

Rather than arguing with her, he snapped a picture of Avery's card and sent it to her.

"Thank you." She hung up.

"That went about as badly as I thought," he sighed. Running his hand through his hair, he winced. He'd used his left hand, without thinking.

"You did what you had to," his mother said. "There is no gentle way to tell her something like that, and she has a right to know."

"Agreed," his father said. "I'm fixing that damn doorknob. We went out to buy a new one. Ran into a few old friends, and went for coffee. I'm sorry you had to go through that alone."

"Thanks, Dad. I'm all right. I'm a grown man. If a thing like that upsets me, I might as well move back home." He chuckled a little nervously. Hands trembling, he belied his own words.

"Tea," his mother stated. "And I brought those rolls you like."

"That would be great, Mom. But I don't have tea."

"I bought some. Where's the sling?"

"No clue. My room?"

He started toward the stairs, but his father beat him to it.

"Be right back." He trotted up. "Yeup! Here it is!" He came just as briskly back down. Carefully, he helped Obi put it on.

"Tea's ready," his mother announced. "How about out here?"

She set the tray with teapot and cups on the coffee table. A platter of sweet rolls nestled beside the pot. Obi couldn't help smiling. It was great being pampered once in a while. What he'd considered hovering, when he was younger, was nothing more than his mother's love. She showed it by the little things she did, like remembering his favorite sweet rolls, from his favorite bakery.

They talked quietly as they ate and drank their tea. Obi had to admit, he felt a lot better afterward. He was able to assist his father by handing him tools and talking.

"I got it keyed at the store, so you don't have to change up," Prescott said.

"I'm surprised they did that."

"It was that small corner hardware—Abernathy's."

"John Abernathy is one of my parishioners."

"I know. We've known his family for years. His son, Roger, runs it now. Nice boy."

Obi chuckled. "Roger Abernathy is forty-two, Dad."

"And I'm fifty-seven. To me, he's a kid."

"I suppose that's true." There were times he considered Eagle to be a child, so he could understand his father's perspective. "Thank you both, so much. I didn't realize how much I've missed you." He felt himself tearing up. Inhaling deeply, he tried to stop the tears, but they made their way out.

His mother handed him a napkin, saying nothing as he wiped his cheeks.

"Then perhaps what we've got to say, will please you," she said gently, nodding at her husband.

"We're moving back. I asked for a transfer a few months ago, and they've granted it. Father Charlie wants to retire."

"He's not that old, surely."

"No, but he's got some health problems, and wants to move to an easier climate."

"Wow. I had no idea. Where's he going?"

"A small town in Southern California. His son lives there. They've built a tiny home for him, and parked it in the backyard."

"I'll be sorry to see him go, but I'm glad he's going to be near his son. Since his wife died, he's been lonely."

"Yes, and he'll enjoy being near the grandchildren. I wouldn't mind one or two of them, myself," his mother chided.

"Nothing I'd like better, but you'll need to give me a little time. Not something I can just make appear," he teased her.

"I'm just saying," she fussed, picking up the tea tray.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...