Tuesday, March 27, 2018

I Love Dialogue from Solaris by Dellani

Solaris is a prequel to my Lone Wolf Series. Wil is on a mission to ask Mining Guild Chairman, Emmelia Spenser, for help. The planet that his friend has been sent to, is highly unstable, and they have families with them. The miners are worried about their safety. Unfortunately, certain key members of the Board of Directors of the Mining Guild are kicking up a fuss.

Doing some sophisticated time conversions, Wil decided to call Emmelia. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon, Aolani time, so he should be able to contact her on a secure line in her office. He began the lengthy process of putting through a crystal call. Nearly an hour later, he made contact. Emmelia answered immediately. It was voice only. She sounded anxious.
"Are you all right?" she said, before even saying hello.
"I'm fine, Emme. How's everything?"
"Chaotic. The good news is that The Rotunda is on the way to Solaris. I'm worried though, I don't think it's going to get there in time. The repercussions from this will be catastrophic if it goes south. I shudder to think of the ramifications."
"Then don't. You know it's a cluster fuck. Deal with it when it happens."
"Not if?"
"Emme, we both know it's a disaster waiting to happen. It's only a question of time."
She suppressed a sob, but Wil's sharp ears caught it.
"Didn't mean to upset you, Emmelia." His voice was uncharacteristically tender.
"It's not your fault. You did what needed doing. I only wish I'd had the courage to do it long ago. He was the Devil incarnate."
"Hell no, Ambrose would scare the Devil and make him run for the hills. How a man, as honorable as your father, and one as sick and twisted as Ambrose, could come from the same family—"
"I thought you didn't like my father."
"I didn't, but I respected the hell out him. He was a cold hearted bastard, there's no doubt. But the man had morals and convictions stronger than most. He was a able leader and a good man, in his own way. He might not have been much of a father, Emme, but he was a hell of a Chairman."
"Yes, he was." She sounded distant.
"But you know what? He's nothing in comparison to his daughter. I happen to think that the current Chairman Spenser is a hell of a gal."
"Thanks, Wil. Right now I don't feel like I am."
"But you need to know that you are. No matter what happens in the future, hold to the fact that you did the best you could. Promise me, Emmelia. You won't lose sight of that—no matter what happens."
"You make it sound so ominous. Is it really that bad?"
He didn't answer her. His silence told her everything she dreaded to hear.
"That's what I was afraid of."
"I'd better go," Wil said quietly.
"Have something pressing to do?" There was a laugh in her voice.
"No, but I'm sure you do. I just wanted to let you know I'm safe. If you need me, you know how to contact me."
"Yes. Do take care."
"I might say the same to you."
"Thank you, Wil."
"Anything for a friend, Emmelia."
The transmission ended leaving her empty, lost and alone. She took solace in his words. His opinion of her made her feel good. Wil was proud of her and that meant a lot. He didn't give out compliments lightly.
© 2018 Dellani Oakes




No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...