Thursday, July 19, 2018

That's Quite a Character - Arista Lockhart from A Novel Romance by Dellani Oakes



The next morning, she woke around 10:00, stretching and smiling as she sat up. She felt rested and refreshed for the first time in years. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she'd woken up with a smile and wondered if she ever had. She set up the coffee pot and called Lionel. He answered breathlessly, with a laugh.
"Catch you at a bad time?"
"I'm wet and dripping on the floor."
"Did I get you out of the shower?" Her mind played games with her, picturing him naked.
"Swimming."
Almost as good an image.
"I'm hanging on the edge of the pool. I heard the phone as I hit the wall."
"Not literally, I hope."
"If I had, this would be an entirely different conversation. I imagine I'd be a lot less responsive."
She giggled, tossing her hair over her shoulder with a practiced flip of her head.
"Well, I'm awake."
"I'll be over soon. Got to grab a shower and pick up breakfast."
"What are we having?"
"It's a surprise. Coffee ready?"
"I've but to push the button."
"Great. Start it in about twenty. I'll be there in twenty-five."
"Okay. I'm going to hit the shower. See you soon."
She'd just gotten out of the shower when her phone rang. Picking it up without looking, she assumed it was Lionel.
"Please tell me you aren't lost. I thought you never forgot the location of a beautiful woman."
"Um..." It wasn't Lionel. "Rista?" It was Chad.
"What do you want?" Her voice grew frosty.
"Why are you so pissed? I just called to say hey."
"So you've said it."
"Baby, come on...."
She'd forgotten how he had a tendency to whine when he wanted something from her. Usually sex, but sometimes money. Given his current location, he wasn't after nookie.
"What do you want?" she repeated, even more hostile. "I'm expecting an important call."
"From some guy can't even figure out where you live? Who is he? I'll break the fucker's legs."
"What," she said again. "Do you want, Chad?"
"To hear your voice, darlin'" He tried a different tactic. "Nights get cold up here in the Rockies."
"You're lonely and want phone sex? Is that it?"
"Just wanted to hear your voice, baby. How's stuff at home?"
"Wouldn't know. I'm not at home."
"Huh? What're you talking about?"
"Did you think I was going to wait for you to come home and decide which woman you were going to fuck next? Do you think you're that irresistible?"
"What's with you? You PMS-ing?"
"It couldn't possibly be that you ran out of town owing me money, could it? Or maybe the fact you've got at least three bastards you won't claim. Maybe it's the fact that you were screwing three different girls at the same time you were living with me. Any of that sound remotely familiar, Chadwick?"
"Say it like that, sounds kinda wrong, babe."
"It is wrong, Chad. Not just my saying it makes it wrong. You're a dirty, nasty, redneck, son of a whore and I never want to see you or hear from you again."
"No reason to insult my mama," he said defensively.
"She's a ragged, toothless Oak Hill hag!" Arista yelled, throwing her phone across the room with a scream.
© 2018 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...