Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 10

Sam's friend, Grant, comes by to visit and say goodbye.

"Why do you love me so much? I'm a complete and total train wreck."

"It just so happens, I love train wrecks. Completely, totally.... My all time favorite thing."

"Shut up!" She shoved him away, but didn't move her hand. "When did you get to be so adorable? I feel like I'm seeing you for the first time."

"Maybe cause it's the first time in ages you've seen me without something in your system."

"Could be." Emma giggled, flipping her ponytail from side to side. "I thought drugs were supposed to make people better looking. I don't think that's possible in your case."

Sammy blushed, hanging his head. "I've always thought you were beautiful, Emma." He chuckled. "We sound like lines from a bad chick flick."

"I don't care. I happen to love chick flicks."

"I know! Who made me sit through a chick flick marathon? More than once?"

"Love should be like that. Making love should be like in movies. Not like it really is."

Sam knew she was thinking of her father. "It isn't all that bad—not always. And that never has to happen again. From now on, you choose, Emma. You decide. Course, I wouldn't mind if you chose me now and then.... Once in a while...." He looked up with a sly smile and mischievous wink.

"You make it sound like we're already done with the program."

"In my mind, we are. Complete success. No fear allowed."

"Do you really think we can do this? That I can? You can do anything...."

"You can too, Em. We're a team."

Again, it felt natural to kiss her. Emma was safe, she was protected and she was going to get better. It made him so happy, he could hardly stand it. A loud rap at the door separated them again.

"Hi!" A young man poked his head in the door. "I'm Raleigh. I'm going to be your tour guide this afternoon. I've got all the paperwork signed, so we're ready to rock and roll. I'm guessing the pretty one is Emma." He came forward, holding out his hand.

Raleigh was about six feet tall, moderately muscled, redheaded, green eyed and freckled. He was probably in his late twenties or very early thirties. He had a nice smile and warm nature that made him easily approachable.

"I'm Sam. This is Emma."

The men shook hands. Emma eyed him warily, but it took a moment for Sam to realize that Raleigh looked a little like her dad. Whether it was the walk or his attitude, Sam wasn't sure. Maybe it was that unflappable assurance that he was right, no matter what.

"I do something wrong?" Raleigh asked as he backed up a step.

"No. No, nothing," Emma gasped, retreating into herself as she always did when threatened.

Raleigh looked to Sam for information. They stepped out of the room for a moment so that Sam could explain.

"I think you scare her. She's kind of paranoid right now. Guys she's not used to...."

"Okay. What do you suggest?"

"She can do this. Let me talk to her."

"I'll wait here."

Sam went back in the room. Emma was hiding in the bathroom, curled up in the corner of the shower stall. Sam wasn't surprised. She often used the bathroom for sanctuary. He entered slowly, crouching as he approached her.

"It's okay, Emma. Raleigh's just here to drive us to the center. He's not going to hurt you. He's a nice guy."

"So's my dad."

"Your dad's an asshole, baby. Raleigh's cool. Rosalee and Doc wouldn't have allowed him up here if he wasn't."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...