Thursday, July 02, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 3


Sam meets Rosalee at the hospital. She's a new social worker, who sits down to talk to him about himself and Emma.

"Are you staying with them right now?"
He shook his head. "Current foster family is very anal. They say I shouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers. Although they are more or less strangers. I've known Grant's family most of my life."
"Do Grant's parents know about Emma's dad?"
"Emma begged us not to tell them. Grant's mom suspects and talked to her, but Emma denied it."
"You know I must report this?"
"I want you to! They'll listen to you! It has to stop or she's never going to quit. One night, I won't get there in time, she'll die and I'll never forgive myself."
Sammy broke down. The thin strands holding him together, shattered. Sobs shook his body, making him weak. Rosalee took him in her arms as he cried. She smelled like flowers and springtime. Other people came in to check on them, but she waved them away.
"It's alright," she answered them all. "He must get out the bad, to make room for the good. You cry all you want, angel. You get those tears out."
Sam sniffed and snorted. Rosalee placed tissues in his hands.
"Men aren't supposed to cry," he gulped.
"Says who? Men have tear ducts, don't they? They feel pain and sorrow, right? If God didn't want you to cry, would he provide you the equipment? Do you think just because you have testicles, it precludes emotional outbursts?"
He laughed despite himself. "When you put it that way...."
"See? You let some good in. The more bad you lose, the more good you gain."
The doors leading to the waiting room from the examination cubicles popped open. Dr. Rivers stood there with a frown . He jerked his head at Sam, motioning angrily for him to follow. Slowly, the boy rose, terrified by the doctor's expression. One frightened glance at Rosalee convinced her to follow. Dr. Rivers barred her way.
"I want to talk to him alone."
"I don't think so. You brought me into this. I'm here for the duration. I am his advocate now."
Angry, but knowing she was right, he allowed her to follow. They walked to an empty treatment room. Dr. Rivers all but slammed the door after them, whirling on Sam.
"I want to know what you gave her!"
"What? Me? Nothing! She was like that when I found her!"
"She said you gave it to her," the doctor continued, getting up in his face.
"What?"
Sammy's knees gave out. Rosalee helped him sit before he fell down.
"I asked her who gave her the drugs. She said, Sammy."
"Hardly damming, Clifton. She's not in her right mind."
"Keep out of this, Rosa."
"I won't!" Her dark eyes flashed angrily. "He brought her here, didn't he? Would he do that if he'd drugged her?"
"He might if he wanted to keep out of trouble."
"I'm always in trouble," Sam answered bitterly. "I've never given Emma drugs. We both use, I don't deny that. But I never, not ever—not that shit."
"What shit?" The doctor advanced again.
"The date rape shit. That's what you mean, right? The cocktail that makes her helpless while a guy f**ks her. Why would I use it? I can tap Emma anytime I want!" He jumped up, angry now, belligerent. That he spoke the truth wasn't lost on either of them.
"Did you tonight?"
"No, sir."
"So, if I screen you, I'm not gonna find your sperm?"
"Jesus! No! God!" He recoiled from the doctor in disgust.
"She had multiple sex partners, Sam." The doctor explained quietly. "We've treated her, done blood tests, taken evidence...."
©2020 Dellani Oakes



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...