Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 6

The doctor decides to Baker Act Emma. Rosalee offers to put Sam into treatment, too.

She didn't ask for details. "When you're in treatment, that will change. They don't allow—"

He laughed sharply. "Rosalee, I can control myself for a few weeks. Jesus, I'm not a lech. Just sometimes, when she's not messed up, when she can really be herself.... I love her. And sometimes I've got to show her, you know?"

"I know, honey lamb."

"And I'm the one guy she does because she wants to." His voice and expression softened. "Not because she's forced to, or because she's doing it in exchange for drugs, or she's too messed up to know. Because she wants me—Me." He slapped his chest hard for emphasis.

"Don't you think you should call your foster parents?"

"Why. They don't care what I do. It doesn't matter."

"Have you done treatment before?"

"No. My friends have. It may be rough, but it's better than this. I can't live this way anymore, and neither can she."

"I'll tell Clifton to do two sets of paperwork."

"Clifton has already started on the paperwork," the doctor said. He had come out so quietly, they hadn't heard him. "I figured while I was at it, I'd give Sam the chance."

"Thank you. We can do it if we're together. I don't think Em could make it on her own."

"How about you?" The doctor asked, curious about this tortured young man.

"Me?" He grinned. "I can do anything I have to, Doc. I always have." Except to leave Emma. That was something he could never do.

"The program I want to send you to is new. It uses some of the tried and true methods, but it has some other aspects that are experimental. Is that okay with you?"

"As long as it helps us."

Once the paperwork was completed, Dr. Rivers contacted the facility. He allowed Sam to spend the night at the hospital with Emma, but insisted he call his foster family and get clean clothing, and personal items that he would need for the night. They arrived 20 minutes later, flustered and upset.

"Sammy, it's three o'clock in the morning," his foster mother scolded. "You know Ray has to get up early."

"I'm sorry, Betty. I'll be out of your hair soon. I'm going into treatment with Emma."

They didn't know what to say. To his surprise, Betty flung her arms around him and cried.

"I'm so darn proud of you! You know if you need anything while you're there, you just let us know."

Ray shook his hand. "You're a good kid, Sam. You need some help, that's all. I been saying that all along."

"Thanks, both of you. I appreciate you bringing this by."

"You take care, honey. And you take good care of that little girlfriend of yours. She's a sweet kid. Just needs someone to look after her," Betty babbled as her husband tried to lead her out. She darted back, giving Sam another hug and a kiss before her husband could get her to leave.

"That was unexpected," Sam smirked. "I honestly didn't think they gave a damn."

"Perhaps their insistence that you rely on them, was founded in a concern for your welfare?"

"Maybe. Thanks, Rosalee. You've been a big help."

"I will have to call her parents, you know."

"Yeah. But please, don't let them see her, unless you're there. Because they will bully and browbeat her until she agrees to go home. She can't go home right now."

"I'll do my best."

"Thank you." He hugged her, delighting in the fond embrace.

"You're welcome, honey lamb. Get a shower and get some sleep."

"I will. Thanks."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...