Thursday, May 05, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 19

"And FTPA?" Alice asked, her voice layered with concern.


"Failure to Pay Attention," Stan concluded. "And I'm sorry, Alice, I suffer from that too."

"But not as bad as some people," Avery said, giving Colby an evil eye.

Alice's eyes widened. "Wow, you all have known one another so long, I feel kind of out of the loop."

Avery patted her hand. "It's okay. Hang with me, I'll get you up to speed. That's if you intend to stay with our unseemingly large, somewhat addled, genius friend. He's ungainly, but mostly harmless." She smiled at Stan. "Honestly, he's a great guy and, next to Colby, he's my favorite."

"Does anyone even like Gavin?" Alice asked, shocked.

"We love him! We just know what he's like," Colby replied. "He's a great guy, who's so damn smart, he can't tie his own shoes. Seriously," he said when he was Alice's disbelief. "He wears Velcro." He wiggled a foot at her. His hightops were neatly laced and tied.

"No wonder he's like that. Poor guy." Alice shook her head. "He's lucky he has you guys. I have a brother like that. He's so smart, he's dumb. He hasn't got friends like you looking after him."

They all got somewhat subdued. Colby's phone rang bringing them out of their reverie. He looked at the screen, grinning.

"Guess who?" He answered. "Hiya, Gav. Sup?"

"Where are you? You're not home. Stan's not home. I locked myself out again and I'm on foot. I had to take the stinking bus to your place! What the fuck?"

"We're at Avery's."

"Oh, come on! That's like ten miles."

"It's three. Don't worry, I'll come get you. Sit tight."

"Okay, but hurry, please. I left my jacket in the house—with my keys in the pocket."

"Not even asking why," Colby said. "Be there soon."

"Thanks. Bye."

"Be right back. Wonder Boy locked himself out. He's freezing ass at my place."

"I'll come with you," Stan volunteered. "We can get my cables when we're there."

"Good idea. Ladies, want to come?"

Avery snorted. "While you all go do manly things? I'll pass. Alice?"

"Same."

Colby started toward the door, then came rapidly back to Avery. He stood toe to toe with her, gazing down expectantly.

"What?" She glared up at him.

"Can I have a kiss before I brave the freezing cold?"

Avery blushed, laughing. "We're gonna have to work on these relationship skills, huh?" She stood on tiptoe, kissing him goodbye.

Stan eyed Alice expectantly. She grabbed his belt loop, pulling him toward her. She gave him a quick kiss before shoving him away with a smile. Grinning like a little kid on Christmas, he followed Colby. Once the door closed, Alice bounced, taking Avery's hands as she squealed.

"Oh, my freaking God, he's so cute! Absolutely adorable! And tall! You have no idea," she said.

Avery chuckled. "Nope, every guy seems so tall to me. Stan is more or less in the same category as trees. Colby is a ladder. Gavin is more along the lines of a tall stool."

Alice laughed, hugging Avery's shoulders. "I like this group so much. I'm going to enjoy it here."

Avery found herself smiling, pleased to have a female friend for the first time. They finished cleaning up the kitchen and sat down in the living room with coffee. Both women sat with their feet curled under them, shoes tumbled on the floor.

"How long have you can Colby been dating?" Alice sipped her coffee, waiting expectantly.

"We officially started yesterday."

"Really? I thought you'd been together forever."

"We've been friends forever, in love with each other for years—only now, he finally figured it out. He suffers from the failure to pay attention thing, too."

"Is that just guys, or what?"

"Seems to be, at least with this bunch. They are the best people I know, but they're kinda slow in the social skills department. Once they finally catch on—" She smiled wistfully. "They're great. I love Stan and Gavin like brothers. There's just something so special about Colby." She sighed happily, then started laughing. "God, I sound like such a girl!"

Alice nearly spewed her coffee. Laughing, she grabbed Avery's hand. "You haven't noticed that before? The tits weren't a clue?"

Avery giggled. "You know how I finally got Colby's attention? I flashed my tits."

Alice burst out laughing. "No shit! Full on skin?"

"No. I had on a T-shirt." She told her new friend the particulars. "I thought he was gonna bust out of his pants. His eyes bugged out, and he just stood there—drooling."

"I know why all the guys showed up at the store yesterday," Alice said shyly. "Stan told me about texting them my picture."

"How do you feel about that?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...