Thursday, May 19, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 29


"I'm pressing charges," Colby said. He didn't feel very confident, but Buck backed him up, nodding with satisfaction.

The cop and his prisoner went to his car. He shut the tattooed man in the back seat and came back over to talk to Colby and Buck.

"This is a good place," Buck continued. "His buddies bear watching," he told the officers. "I got nothing concrete, but I think they're dealing."

Colby told them about Gavin's experience the day before. The cops nodded, listening and asking questions.

"We'll make sure everyone knows. Thank you. Sorry about the car, kid," one cop said. "Depending on your insurance, they might pay." He shook his head. "If not, my friend does body work. He can pop that out no problem. The paint didn't crack, at least." He handed Colby two business cards. "If you see or hear anything from our friends, call me. If you need bodywork, call this guy and tell him Carl sent you."

"Will do. Thank you, sir."

The cop laughed. "I'm probably only a couple years older than you, Colby."

"Yeah, well you're the one with the badge. My dad taught me to call men like you, sir."

Laughing, the cop got in his car and the two officers took off with the prisoner. A tow truck arrived a little while later and collected both cars from Colby's spots. He got what he needed and left, not wanting any further trouble from the neighbors.

When he got back to Avery's apartment, it smelled of fresh laundry and baking bread. She loved to bake, but rarely did because her oven was somewhat cantankerous. She'd fixed a late lunch of soup and fresh bread. Colby told her about his experience with the tattooed man while they ate.

"Jesus, Colb! I'm glad you're staying with me! Did he hurt you?"

"Not a mark on me. All those Steven Seagal movies paid off." He'd taken Aikido for years, though he'd never had to use it outside the dojo.

"You need to move out of that place. I've got plenty of room. You could give your month's notice and leave."

"You sure? That's a big step."

"Positive. Let's make plans for next weekend and get the guys to help. You know they would."

Colby nodded. He had to agree that it was a good idea. He wasn't sure he felt comfortable in his own place now, even with Buck watching his back. His friend couldn't be home twenty-four/ seven.

"Okay. We can go over and get a load of stuff before dinner. I'll call the guys and see if they can help move some stuff. I'll talk to the manager tomorrow."

Avery jumped up, kissing him as she sat on his lap. "This is going to be great! I'm so excited!"

Colby grinned, kissing her playfully. "It's already great. It's going to be greater."

They kissed a long time. Colby's phone rang as they moved their celebration to the bedroom. It wasn't a number that Colby recognized and no name came up, but he answered anyway.

"Hey, Colby, it's Buck. You're suddenly Mr. Popularity. Someone took spray paint to your door and windows. I saw them, but couldn't get over fast enough. I called the cops, but of course there's not much to go on."

"Shit! Thanks, Buck. I've been planning to move in with my girlfriend. I think this just prompted me to move sooner."

"I've got a truck and two brothers. We can get you moved out today."

"Do it," Avery said, blinking back tears. "I don't want you hurt."

"You sure?"

She nodded.

"I'll be over in ten minutes," Colby said. "Gotta put my pants back on."

Buck laughed loudly. "It can wait an hour."

"No, I'd better get over there. Avery understands."

"Okay, dude. See you soon. Sorry about the timing."

"At least it was before and not during. She'd flat kill me then."

"If it had been during, why would you be answering the phone?"

Colby laughed. "Good point."

Gavin and Stan showed up shortly after Colby arrived at his apartment. He wasn't entirely sure how they found out he was moving, but he didn't say no to the extra help. Avery didn't have room for all his furniture, but he took pieces he most needed, or those she wanted to replace. The rest he left with Buck to keep, distribute or get rid of.

Several other neighbors, who were on friendly terms, helped Colby pack up his things and he was fully moved out of his place in a couple hours. Many of them drove over to Avery's to unload and replace the furniture. Another two hours later, his things were inside and they were catching their breath.

Colby ordered pizza and Stan made a beer run. In deference to Avery, it was strictly IBC and cream soda. No one objected, nor would they take any payment.

"I figure, pay it forward," Buck said. "One day, I move, I call you."

"Works for me," Colby assured him. "Thanks, Buck. Sorry you've got to put up with the dirtbags."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...